Shoot em up bang bang.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot em up bang bang.

The tides and the weather have not been in my favor lately.
    So there was only a short window to get onto the beach this past Thursday.
    And as you can see there was not much to find. Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	167.3 KB ID:	256452
    I was hoping that these two coins might be silver. Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	541.5 KB ID:	256453
    But that didn't happen. Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	540.1 KB ID:	256454
    To give you an idea of how badly copper rots in saltwater, these are those same two pennies.
    Together they are not equal to half the thickness of a normal penny. Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	327.8 KB ID:	256455
    Brass and gold are the only things that stand up to saltwater.
    Like this Hope Bros buckle. Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	2 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	256457
    Since the beach was basically a no go land was to only option.
    On Thursday afternoon while that brass was tumbling a baseball diamond was calling my name.
    While there, two parks workers ignored me and a third stopped by to chat and ask how I was doing.
    Not long after that a fourth worker was driving by and spotted me.
    He stopped his truck in the middle of the road and came out onto the field to give me $hit.
    That went over like a lead balloon with me. I have caved into these park Nazis for too long.
    Instead of leaving this time I told him that I would leave when I was done.
    I showed him the trash that I was removing from the park and he walked away shaking his head. Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	582.4 KB ID:	256459

This is from Thursday and Friday. Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	753.4 KB ID:	256458
    In most areas around here surface hunting is about the only thing that I can do at the moment.
    Our regular summer drought is upon us now, there has been no rain here since late May.
    That is why I turn my sensitivity down and just look for modern coins.
    However when the opportunity comes along and I find some moist ground, well I just can't resist looking a little deeper.
    They are not as old as I would like but I'm not complaining.
    The 68 is clad. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	256460

Last edited by 2ndoldman; 07-18-2017, 01:48 AM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

However the 62 is silver. Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	651.7 KB ID:	256462
    And so is this. Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	256463
    On Saturday that same ball field was calling my name again.
    This time it was not to be.
    There was a ball tournament just getting started.
    One of the organizers saw me contemplating my next move while holding the detector in hand.
    He called me over and explained that the city have burred the base pins and he was hooped unless they could be found.
    Well I didn't get to detect that park but the two cold beers for uncovering the pins went down nice.
    On Sunday a couple of friends wanted to hit the dirt.
    And it was decided to start out in a tot lot.
    For all of you southern friends who detect you have it made in regards to modern coins.
    All of your coins now are basically copper based where as ours up here are steel.
    Denomination Composition
    1 cents (penny) 94% steel, 1.5% nickel, 4.5% copper plating or copper plated zinc
    5 cents (nickel) 94.5% steel, 3.5% copper, 2% nickel plating
    10 cents (dime) 92% steel, 5.5% copper, 2.5% nickel
    25 cents (quarter) 94% steel, 3.8% copper, 2.2% nickel plating
    50 cents (half-dollar) 93.15% steel, 4.75% copper, 2.1% nickel plating
    $1 (loonie) 91.5% nickel, 8.5% bronze plating
    $2 (toonie) outer ring 99% nickel, inner core 92% copper, 6% aluminum, 2% nickel
    And if you are hunting for iron grunts in tot lots this is what you can expect to find. Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	549.1 KB ID:	256464
    As well of a lot of these. Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	469.2 KB ID:	256465
    And some of this. Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	617.7 KB ID:	256466
    Only a bit over $6 of that came from the tot lot.
    Once we had depleted that spot of signals the three of us headed out into the wild blue yonder where another not so old silver made it's appearance. Click image for larger version  Name:	15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	256467
    The last good find on the day made my day.
    Mike had walked very near to this and did not see it sitting on the grass. Click image for larger version  Name:	16.jpg Views:	1 Size:	399.9 KB ID:	256468
    The torch/lighter still works.
    As well as the laser pointer.
    Shoot em up bang bang, your dead. Click image for larger version  Name:	17.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	256469
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Thanks for the post Bruce, those are some neat finds! I especially like the lighter gun lol
      If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        When I found that lighter I was expecting a cap gun.
        But the 4 inch long flame that shot out when the hammer was pulled back said otherwise.

Nice Finds Bruce
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Chase.

You had another good run. Congrats

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        So did you Eric. To bad you had to leave early.

The park guy reminds me of going by houses around here where the dogs chase the car, when you suddenly stop they just look at the car and try to figure out what to do with it then. All houses on these dirt roads around here has several dogs.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you ever snapped a dish rag into the hubcap?
        It cures car chasing really quick.

I like the fact that u told that guy u was going to Finnish before u left ..... hahahahahahaha!!!! That's awesome .... love your post Bruce
      Last edited by G10+; 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM.
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Everett. I am tired of kowtowing to these wannabe idiots.

Understand my friend

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

You sure find unique things Bruce.
        South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I get a real thrill finding oddities Gary. If it was just coin after coin all day long that would bet boring PDQ.

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Fortunately I am a little less round than that.

I seen that Bruce and thought u might get a laugh out of that !!!

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I did Everett. Thanks.

For goodness sake don't pull that lighter out and go to light someone's cigarette! ! Around here that would prompt a gun fight

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I will definitely heed your warning Kurt.

It's true I walked right past the gun lighter, good find Bruce. It is always a pleasure to get out and detect with you..........

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          It happens Mike.
      Working...
      X