Fork me! That was a haul.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork me! That was a haul.

A couple of days ago I had a load in the pouch that almost dislocated my hip.
    The pouch was already almost full of brass and lead when a 5 pound lead weight decided to reveal itself.
    I initially walked it up to the high tide line and continued hunting.
    Yah I should know better but when you are addicted what can you do.
    The point was finally reached where getting back to my escape route was a necessity.
    So here I am, carrying the scoop and the weight in one hand and the detector in the other and the detector goes off.
    It is a length of brass pipe.
    OK, I start tossing the pipe ahead of me and keep on trudging alone still carrying the lead weight in my hand.
    The detector goes off again and this time it is a huge brass coupler.
    So the weight finally ends up in the pouch after all and I shut the detector off and trudge the last hundred yards still tossing the brass pipe ahead of me.
    Once the exit point is reached my only recourse is to start tossing the big stuff up top before hauling my sorry but up the hill with the rest of my gear.
    I nearly had a heart attach when the lead ball came rolling and bounding back down and ran into the CTX coil.
    Luckily it was just a glancing blow and no damage was done. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	260263
    Here is everything that came up the hill with me. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	968.4 KB
ID:	260264
    Whenever an item comes out of saltwater covered in a thick black crust there is hope that it just might be silver.
    This day it was fifty/fifty. the first find was the shiny fork.
    And boy did it look good when the tumbler was cleaned later that night. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	260265 Sadly it is just silver plated though. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	260266
    This was the other silver hopeful, and it turned out to be a George 6th quarter. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	260267
    Later that night it was off to the third meeting of the newly formed Victoria metal detecting club.
    After which I stopped on the way home to swing the coil while there was still some daylight.
    45 minutes of swing time was all that was needed to pay the daily gas bill and put a couple of keepers in the pouch. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	791.0 KB
ID:	260268Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	260269 You all know that addiction is a bitch, and yes I headed back out there on Friday once again.
    The finds were not as plentiful on Friday. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	260270
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Nor were there any treasures. :sad: The only bright spots were this stainless steel buckle. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	260272 And this pair.
    Since the bagpipe player came from the ocean I guess that you can say that he lost his sea legs.
    I had originally thought that the other item was my first pocketwatch winder key but that is doubtful. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	260273
    Bruce

Comment

Maybe a bigger pouch is in store ???? And a back brace lol .... that haul was huge !!! Some awesome things in there for sure Bruce
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        No way am I going to carry more on my hip Everett.
        Having 10 to 15 pounds strapped on one side of my hip is more than enough for this old fart.

I got it !!!! U can hire u a caddy !!! Job requirements- tote bag , hand water bottle , keep sweat towel wrung out .... must be able to stay quite and walk long distances and be available and a moments notice !!!!

And!!! If u have them just send there job apps and resumes to us here on site we can go threw the process of elimination for u :-):-) !! How's that ??!!
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect 😁😁😁

I was thinking and you may qualify for the Canadian version of the most interesting man in the world,lol! Mosquitoes don't bite Bruce out of respect,lol. Another interesting post just like always. Oh and that eyeball ring creeps me the heck out.

Comment

• Havenhunter
        Havenhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        You and me both!! 🙄

Interesting finds Bruce, love seeing that old date on that fork. Looks like that was around the time when things really started booming in that area... I wouldn't have wanted to take the Oregon trail to arrive there at that time though, I like my scalp. Good luck keeping Greg away from that buckle! Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought of Greg as soon as I pulled it from the muck Josh.
        I like my scalp too. It is fun to collect native artifacts but I would not want to have been on the receiving end of anything other than a peace pipe.

Originally posted by p kurt View Post
      I was thinking and you may qualify for the Canadian version of the most interesting man in the world,lol! Mosquitoes don't bite Bruce out of respect,lol. Another interesting post just like always. Oh and that eyeball ring creeps me the heck out.
      And here I thought that the mosquitoes were leaving me alone because of the delicate balance of blood and rye whiskey in my veins.
      I hear you on that ring Kurt. there certainly are some creepy ones out there. https://www.google.ca/search?q=silve...w=1680&bih=941
      To be honest though my first thoughts when I saw it was this little guy. Click image for larger version

Name:	c3ebae79024d8fcb0b9a45eb76aed876--one-eyed-minion-minion-cakes.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	260410
      Bruce

Comment

Really like The Eye Ring Bruce!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Josh, it is a cool looking ring.

The V.M.D.C. I'll buy a camo fleece when you get them ordered. Maybe a backpack for all that metal you haul out. It would balance the weight onto both hips. Great post as always. Keep them coming.
        fldwlkr
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          The VDMC is just a fledgling club. They asked me to be the president but I declined.

• LucasBMylks
          LucasBMylks commented
          Editing a comment
          ``Why do you want me to be King? because you dont want to be, thats why

That eye ring is spooky
        South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha. Spooky but cool.

I like the bagpipe figurine.

...though I am glad you identified it for me. I thought it was someone hitting a bong. ✌️😊

I don't see very many bags of pipe players here.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you saying that you have a pile of bong users in your area?😎😎😎

Hey...it's legal-ish here now....but I do spend a lot of time in Colorado and the islands. :-😇
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Ish is better than nothing Jethro. Far to many people have ended up getting police records (and ruining their lives in the process) for simple possession.

You're not speaking from experience are you? 😉
        Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Shhhh. Mums the word

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          (In my best Val Kilmer/Doc Holliday voice)..."why, I nevah...."

😎