Back on home plate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on home plate.

After Saturday's double header I figured that this would be an appropriate title.
    Especially since I was back on the same beach.
    You just never know what will turn up buried in the muck.
    How the heck can someone lose this?
    And there was more still buried. Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	343.8 KB ID:	261732

It took pretty near 3 hours to fill the pouch on Sunday. Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.3 KB ID:	261733
    For ease later on I grouped what I figured would be the best finds in the center. Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	261734
    This is what it looked like after cleaning and sorting. Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	220.2 KB ID:	261735

That spoon in the center was a pleasant surprise and ended up in the keeper pile.
    http://www.silvercollection.it/HOLMESANDEDWARDS.html Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.3 KB ID:	261736
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	543.7 KB ID:	261737

Of those items I had centered there were three surprises.
    Firstly the brass item turned out to be a complete feeler gauge.
    The two pendants got switched around in importance.
    The large black one (which I was sure to be silver) is pewter.
    And what I figured to be a junk pendant turned out to be sterling.
    The clay marble was an eyeball find. Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	261738

Low and behold gas was covered again. Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	237.0 KB ID:	261739
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Good finds! The Krocodile fishing spoons are cool, there so heavy you can cast them quite the distance. I also like the bottle stopper my buddy finds them in our rivers and I sure would like to find one.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Glass bottle stoppers are always fun to find. Good luck on your search.

So I got to ask just how u picked up that glass stopper with your coil ?? Awesome day out Bruce !!!
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

You could start an antique store !
      South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Not quite but I am getting there.

Originally posted by G10+ View Post
      So I got to ask just how u picked up that glass stopper with your coil ?? Awesome day out Bruce !!!
      I always keep my eyes on the ground Everett, hoping for that elusive point. this area was heavily used by the indigenous population for a long time.

Near the Selkirk trestle in Victoria, there is a textbook example of such damage. Mentioned in the Fort Victoria treaties made with the Songhees in 1850, the Island of the Dead — renamed Halkett Island — was actively used as a burial site. There were subsurface graves on it and burial boxes both on the ground and in the trees. But in 1867, four young British boys who swam there burned it all down. The British Colonist reported that fines were imposed.

Yet in his memoirs, the main instigator says nothing about a fine. Instead, Edgar Fawcett writes in Some Reminiscences of Old Victoria, published in 1912, that he had proposed that he and his friends “accidentally on purpose” set fire to the whole islet. When he eventually confessed to his parents, they told him to “lay low” for a few days. All four boys “kept their counsel,” he said, “and escaped a visit from the police.”

When the coast was clear they went back to the island, “and found that all traces of the burying-ground had vanished, the surface of the island being swept clean, with not a trace of boxes, bones or trees, and it has remained so till this day.”

And to this day. Originally a Songhees reserve, the island was taken back by the government in 1924 but it became a reserve again in 1993 as part of a compensation package.

The white line is exposed ground at low tide and the X is where the bottle stopper was.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedCapture_LI.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	261788
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
      X