Okay, time for the history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, time for the history.

The history relates to this handsome chap.
    Sir Richard McBride, KCMG (December 15, 1870 – August 6, 1917)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	265233 He was the 16th Premier of BC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_McBride
    And the whole thing began when I met Tori. Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (2).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	265234 I was out cruising around my favorite park when he approached with the story of having lost a gold ring and asked if it were possible to help find it.
    Without skipping a beat I agreed and we were off to the area he thinks that it was lost.
    There were two big problems that day.
    The first was that it had been lost a month ago.
    Either along a well used dirt pathway in the bush. Or off into the bush where he was gathering vines for his artwork.
    The second was that I had the 17" coil on the CTX.
    Well I walked up and down that pathway twice.
    Nothing but pull tabs and pennies.
    Two days later and I was back with the 5 X 10 Coiltek coil on and off into the bush I went.
    There were plenty of targets in the bush were he thought it might be.
    Sadly his ring did not show up that day nor during the two subsequent days I have since spent looking.
    By the way does anyone need a new putter? Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	265235 Other than those needles (which buy the way only two of them had the safety caps on) there were a few disappointing finds.
    It was a bummer to find out that this was just a cheap modern button. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	265236 This was also a let down.
    Cheap modern replica made out of pot metal. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	265237 Why do the cool old items always come up broken? Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	265238 I guess that I can't complain to much since this cigarette case is whole. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	265239Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	265240
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

On top of that gas was paid. Click image for larger version  Name:	9 (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	265245
    And another silver was added to the yearly total. Click image for larger version  Name:	10 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	265246
    When this was just a target in the ground it hit the CTX just like those old rifle cartridges.
    A hollow sounding 12/34
    It is a real good thing that I do dig that signal because this came out of the ground. Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.1 KB ID:	265247

There is an inscription on the top which I miss read and I was researching R M Bride.
    The only thing Google wanted to show me was stupid bridal photos.
    My good buddy Micheal set me straight toot suite by saying that I was an idiot for not seeing the small "c"
    He also wondered if my assessment on this being gold plated was right.
    To quote "You sure it is plated".
    Well I put it through the "BRUCE" cleaning process.
    First into reverse electrolysis. Click image for larger version  Name:	12 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	265248

Then into the tumbler for half an hour.
    I was not satisfied with the results so back in the tumbler it went for another half hour.
    The next day I had it tested and the Spectrometer showed that it really was gold.
    10.7K to be exact. Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	265249

Well back home I trotted and immediately popped it into a vinegar bath over night to finish dissolving the final bits of crud.
    A final half hour in the tumbler turned this out. Click image for larger version  Name:	14 (2).jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	265250
    Click image for larger version  Name:	15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	265251
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 09-16-2017, 02:07 AM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Wow! That's an awesome discovery!!
      Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Deb.

What is it? Awesome
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh, it is the top of a walking stick.

Dang Bruce how much u figure it weighs in gold weight ?? Thats will pay for some gas for sure :-)
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I honestly have no idea how much gold is in this Everett. It is heavy but there is still part of the wooden stick in it.

Custom walking stick toppers were common among well to do men in the 19th & early 29th centuries. A status symbol. A rarity today. That's quite a treasure.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        You are very right Deb, they were popular back then. I doubt that very many of them were lost though.

Wow what a find Bruce! What a unique and personal piece of history. The art stroll! You sure cleaned it up beautifuly.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I have always felt that if you are going to do something, do it right.

Your reward for trying to find Tori s ring
      South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have been happy just finding and returning his ring. This is an over the top reward.

Yes! It is beautiful.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I agree.

Damn Bruce blown away i am. thats real history right there.insert emoji with dropping jaw. so this blokes got mountains named after him, started a university and everything, doesn`t half make ya think. how did he lose it? dya think he may have chased off some young ruffians that may have ended up in fisticuffs? it must have an intrinsical value regardless of the gold weight. Great Find Mate
      If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        The possibilities of why and how it ended up where I found it are endless. It was found beside a trail that for over 100 years has been called Lovers Lane.
        Could he have been caught with his pants down?????
        Was it stolen and later discarded because it was to identifiable?????
        Your guess is as good as mine.

• LucasBMylks
        LucasBMylks commented
        Editing a comment
        `pants down` if you had found his belt buckle too........dont go there lol. i am amazed tho really. this guy was obviously someone so well known. a guitar is just a guitar but if its Elvis guitar...........AMAZIN Bruce keep up the good work

Man what a prize!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Kurt, your comment caused me to go back and check on how much this coil has found.
        Since September 21st it has produced $98.11 4 silver rings, 2 silver pendants, 2 silver pins/broaches, 1 silver thimble, 12 silver coins, 7 old copper coins, 7 relics (military buttons and pins and old dog tags) and 2 gold rings.
        This coil is worth its weight in gold.

That’s pretty freaking awesome!
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.

Good golly, keep it up cause I know all of us enjoy seeing your posts!

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Kurt. I will keep digging until my knees give out.
    Working...
    X