Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anyone is interested, this is the story that won the coil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone is interested, this is the story that won the coil.

Hello, my name is Bruce and I am addicted to metal detecting.
    I dug my first find in June of 2013 and have not put the detector down since then.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	265735
    As you can see my detector of choice is the Minelab CTX. Each year I have managed to make at least one outstanding find, and this year is no different. With one caveat though, the find of the year this year is not metal. It is stone. Yes I know that sounds strange coming in an entry for metal detecting find of the month but if you bare with me you will see that it actually does quality.
    The CTX is an amazing detector, once you become familiar with it you could walk onto any field or into any park and cherry pick the best finds if you so wished. However that is not my style of detecting. I hunt wide open, zero discrimination, and listen to each target to choose what I will and will not pull from the earth. Being as I live here in Canada, clad (modern coin) hunting was almost a no go with the CTX. From 1968 to 1999 our nickels, dimes, quarters and one dollar coins were made from 99.9% nickel and since then they changed to 94% steel, 3.8% copper, with a 2.2% nickel plating. The CTX stock coils are completely useless in differentiating between these coins and a rusty nail. What a game changer the Coiltek 5 X 10 coil is not only nickel based coins but stainless steel as well. The CTX now sings out on all of these items whereas before it was simply an iron grunt. The slim line design and closed construction of the coil also make it a must have for anyone detecting in woodsy areas and stubble fields. It glides over stubble and will never get hung up in the bushes.
    OK time to get back to the narrative. During the summer months I can normally be found up to my chest in the Gorge waterway here in Victoria BC. By the way the Gorge is a saltwater estuary which extends inland from the Victoria inner harbor 5 kilometers up to Portage inlet. While in the Gorge I use a homemade floating sifter which I attach to my finds pouch. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	265736 The reason why I use a sifter is all too obvious if you look at this picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	265737 The Gorge is nothing more than black muck mixed with oyster, clam and mussel shells. So although I use a scoop to retrieve the target, placing the scoop full of muck into the sifter is absolutely the only way to go. On this particular day I was driving around and noticed that the tide was out. If I had been properly dressed for water detecting The Coiltek coil would have been replaced by the stock coil and I would never have made this peculiar find. The one and only problem with the 5 X 10 coil is that it floats. However since I only intended to go knee deep that was not going to be a problem. I slipped on my kayak boots and headed off with my gear for an hour of enjoyment while the tide was still low. Well there I was, killing time and finding a few modern pennies for my troubles, and I get an odd tone in the headset. Just like any other target recovery the scoop is stomped into the muck and a good ten pounds of muck is then dumped into the sifter. I rest the CTX on top of the sifter and start swishing away the muck. The target itself was a nothing find. It turned out to be a stainless steel wristwatch backing plate. I was almost thunderstruck though to see a black face staring up at me out of the remaining muck. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	265738Click image for larger version

Name:	image_29273.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	265740 This is a Haida carved black argillite pipe, most likely circa 1800 to 1835. “Wilson Duff: Sense and Non-Sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haida_argillite_carvings

Wilson Duff, a Canadian anthropologist, noted some problems with the aforementioned theories of progression in the styles and themes of Haida argillite carving. Duff reanalyzed the history of argillite carving and the existing theories concerning its influences and interpreted a timeline founded on what he calls "sense" and "non-sense". Instead of Kaufmann’s three periods, Duff broke the history of argillite carving into four phases. He used Kaufmann’s first three phases and added a fourth which he subsequently divided into two parts.
    Duff’s first period dates between the years 1800–1835. This is a “non-sense” period which is characterized by a lack of logical compositions of traditional Haida images or themes. According to Duff, these illogical representations in argillite are due to an unwillingness on the Haida’s behalf to allow important elements of their culture to be owned by Europeans and Americans. Duff’s second period is called “White Man’s Non-sense” and takes place between 1830 and 1865. This period is filled with argillite carvings depicting Europeans or Americans which are often carved using a more Western influenced style.”
    This beautiful pipe would never have been found if I had changed to the stock 11 inch coil. By deciding to use the 5 X 10 inch coil this beautiful relic now sits in my collection instead of being forever stuck in the muck of the Gorge. Thank you Coiltek you make great products. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	265739
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

That's really cool Bruce.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Josh

Great story Bruce thanks for sharing. I love the pipe
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Matt it is really good to see you posting again. I hope that all is well.

That's awesome Bruce !!!! I was going to ask for the story ... thought I missed it somewhere on the forum ... thank u sir
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

awesome story
    and a cool pipe to boot

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Such a great story and what a superb find.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks David

Now that's a pipe dream!
    Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      That pipe is definitely a dream maker Deb.

One of a kind and congrats Bruce.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Greg.

I would consider that a find of a lifetime rather than a find of the year, but that is me. It is unreal that you have been detecting that short of a time I started with a Garrett non discriminator and found my first coin an indian head penny in a rotted down log cabin with all the shingle nails in the ground, Dug a bunch but found my first coin. most likely over 40 years ago.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I can only imagine what finds I would have to share with you folks if I had only started detecting way back then.

Thanks Bruce, That is a great pipe and an awesome find.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Ron

Love it!!!! Freaking awesome story, and I've loved that pipe since the first time I saw it...👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I really do appreciate that.

I remember that cool pipe, it deserves a name.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      No pet names for this boy Kurt.
      I just call it mine!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Wow Nice Pipe.. in your pictures he actually looks happier after you cleaned him up Bruce.
    If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

Working...
    X