Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey there. Hi there. Ho there. I'm as happy as can be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey there. Hi there. Ho there. I'm as happy as can be.

I figured that after putting around ten hours on the 14 X 9 Coiltek coil it was time for a review.
    First off contrary to the title, this is no Mickey Mouse coil.
    At a couple ounces heavier that the Minelab 17" coil it is a beast to swing.
    However by shortening the shaft up about an inch it became very comfortable to handle.
    Being 3" shorter that the 17" coil I also had to shorten up my stride to be able to overlap the swings.
    I tend to cover far too much ground while walking so taking smaller steps is not a bad thing.
    For any of you up here in Canada the good news is that this coil is just as reactive to the older nickel based "clad" coins as the 5 x 10 coil is.
    Those coins sing out with a very peculiar trill that crosses between a sweet high tone and an iron grunt.
    Once you get used to that, picking out those nickel based coins is a snap.
    I have been asked how the Coiltek coils react to the more modern steel based coins and unfortunately they do not identify those coins as coins.
    That is not to say that you can not find those coins, far from it.
    It just takes concentration. Listen to the tones is my best advice for anyone who hunts where steel based coins are the norm.
    The CTX will produce a very mellow blurp upon the first pass which will change to a total iron grunt on the return.
    If the target is within 2" of the surface 75% of the time it will be a coin. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	265918 I doubt that this is only a Minelab problem (Minelab detectors are the only ones that I have used so this is based upon my own experience) but anything that is threaded, be it a nut or a screw, will trick the detector into thinking that a good target is below the coil.
    Screws, for some reason will always come in with a high tone and nuts will be much lower into the foil like brass area.
    I don't mind pulling either of these types of targets because if I passed on them I know that I would be passing on some keepers. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	265919 On Wednesday I decided to try an area that causes havoc with the 17" coil.
    This area has a lot of EMI interference, the 14 X 9 handled it with no problem whereas with the 17" coil on I would have constantly been hitting the noise cancel button.
    There was only one keeper from that area. It is not much but it was still fun to find. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	265920 The best find of Wednesday was a real surprise find for me.
    I pulled this teeny tiny silver ring out at 6"
    That is my pinky finger and the ring does not reach the 2 3/4 size marking on the mandrel. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	265921
    Thursday saw the return of the infamous PocoBill.
    I say that because the last time he was over here he pulled a very sweet looking gold ring chockablock full of British hallmarks.
    The area we hit that day was challenging for two reasons.
    Firstly it was dryer than dry and secondly the freshly cut grass left between 4 and 6 inches of stubble on the ground. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	265922 ]The extra weight of this 14 X 9 coil came in really handy in this stubble.
    Rather than bouncing along over top of the stubble like a lighter weight coil would have, this one tends to settle down as low as the stubble will allow.
    While Bill was doing his best impression of a drunken sailor by going here there and everywhere in the field, I chose a patch that was approximately 30 meters by 35 meters and gave it the scorched earth treatment.
    Anything that was not iron was coming out.
    Before anyone asks the batteries and the ceramic ram were eyeball finds. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	812.5 KB
ID:	265923 The first keeper of the day added to the yearly total. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	265924 The second keeper of the day was another shocker for me.
    While walking along a beaten pathway in the stubble this ultra small silver pendant came out at 4".
    Now 4" is not an incredible depth by any means.
    But under the ultra dry conditions and the size of the pendant I think that this find truly shows what the 14 X 9 is capable of. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	265925
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Giving any area the scorched earth treatment will get you some interesting items that you were not expecting.
    This one however rates a HOLY COW.
    Bill not 5 minutes before this find had stopped by in his wanderings and asked why I was griding the area so thoroughly.
    I told him that I hate leaving anything behind.
    And this is one that no one would want to leave behind.
    10K with an absolutely gorgeous opal. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	265927
    To show how truly small that pendant really is, it is best seen this way inside of that tiny ring. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	265928 Earlier on I mentioned that nuts will produce a tone not unlike foil brass, exactly like the old cartridge casings that you can see here. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	802.2 KB
ID:	265929
    Well that very tone produced a couple of interesting items.
    The first of which is this British naval officers button. Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	265930
    And secondly the brass broach.
    These finds with the exception of the broach were from today. The broach was found on Thursday. Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	265931
    In conclusion my recommendation for anyone using the CTX is to most definitely make the 14 X 9 Coiltec coil your go to coil.
    If I could weld this sucker in place I would.
    Happy hunting all.
    It is now time for me to head to bed and dream of the next big find.
    Bruce

Comment

That little silver ring is sweet. With my small hands, think it would fit just fine!
      Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Your hands must be very tiny Deb.

Is that an old mail-sack cable seal lock?
      evidence of a postal bandit?
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        It very well could be Jason.

Hopefully a heavier coil will produce a heavier treasure bag. Congratulations on the coil. Have you ever thought about doing hand modeling that sure is a very clean and nicely manicured pinky finger!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Originally posted by Sugaree View Post
        Hopefully a heavier coil will produce a heavier treasure bag. Congratulations on the coil. Have you ever thought about doing hand modeling that sure is a very clean and nicely manicured pinky finger!
        I could be a hand model for hard work.
        Believe it or not, this is after hand washing and a shower. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170923_102954.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	265981PS, I have no idea why my nails don't break.
        Bruce

Comment

• MacLager
          MacLager commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL....reminds me of the "Seinfeld" episode where George Costanza becomes a hand model..... Nice finds.

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks ML . Are you a big Man U fan?

I need to mail you some gloves....

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          What's the matter Jason, does it look like I have soft hands?😁😁😁

Nah Bruce, your hands look like mine. Got to take care of them...
        I recognize working man's hands. I'm having surgery Friday to remove scar tissue in my right thumb so I can use it for something besides hitchhiking or eye gouging in a fight...
        I'm terrible on mine too. I do things to mine and usually don't notice until laterπŸ‘

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the concern Jason. You definitely need to take care of yours if you have scar tissue bad enough to stop proper function.

I use that emojiπŸ‘ A lot because that's what my thumb looks like. 😳 I can't bend it at all.

Comment

Working...
        X