2 flops and a not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 flops and a not.

With less than 2 inches of rain here since the beginning of June getting any depth is near impossible.
    So these will be the last finds from this field until such time as the ground gets a thorough soaking.
    Monday and Wednesday were both a flop as far as keepers goes.
    The recyclables are drying up almost as fast as the field is.
    By the way that Watkins medicated ointment tin is brand new and never opened. https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/j-...6C0aAkvo8P8HAQ
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	266367 Field hunting is never very profitable but it is nice to keep some fuel in the tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	266368 Tuesday was the best day out of the three.
    It started out early morning with this. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	266369
    A reference guide to the Chinese coins of the Ch'ing Dynasty (1644-1911), by Calgary Coin Gallery

Emperor KAO TSUNG AD 1736-1795 SHAN-LUNG Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	266370
    By mid afternoon this find was a blessing. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	266371Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	266372 Late in the afternoon my dogs were killing me, and I almost passed on this signal.
    The only reason I attempted to pull it was because it sounded like an old copper penny.
    I kept telling myself that as it took a full 15 minutes to wiggle it out from under a mass of roots.
    Well my tired dogs be dammed.
    This is no copper penny. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	266373 There are no markings but it passed my litmus test. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	266374
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Nice finds. Amazing that the Chinese coin was minted in the late 1700's.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      They were carried here by the Chinese who came in the 1800s. What is amazing is the lack of wear on this one David.

I have tried to do metal detecting around our farm, but there is so much scrap barb wire, beer cans and fencing nails, I end up spending all day digging and never find anything remotely good. There is an 1865 homestead on the place so you would think it would turn up something interesting, but no luck.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      It takes time to become comfortable with a detector. Once you get comfortable you can bypass 90% of that junk and concentrate on the targets that are better.

By the way, now that I can see your avatar picture that red nail polish makes perfect sense 👌

Ha Ha! Thanks! Yes, I think a lot of my problem with the detector are because it's a cheap model and doesn't discriminate well. Probably need to spring for a better one.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are only going to use it on your own place I would not spring for a better detector.
      You would be better off just working through the trash and enjoying the adventure.

Beautiful quarter you have there Bruce. GREAT FIND

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Eric.
Working...
X