Indian summer is almost over here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian summer is almost over here.

It has been a fantastic run of unbelievable weather over the past week and a bit here in Victoria.
    The daily temperatures have been hovering between 15 and 22 degrees Celsius which is 60 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	323.0 KB
ID:	270180
    During the 7 days of this post I have been averaging around 4 and a half hours of swing time every day.
    Not every day has seen a keeper (Monday and Wednesday were bupkus days) but that makes those days with keepers all that much sweeter.
    This will give you an idea of the types of sites that I hit during the 7 days.
    Monday was the firing line and there were nothing but old shell casings to be found.
    And Sunday was the training range were almost all of the finds were empty training rounds. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	270181 Tuesday was the best day.
    It started out with a surprise and continued onto the best hole of the week.
    The surprise was a fall coloured maple leaf pin that I thought was brass because it was totally brown when it came out.
    You will have to forgive me here.
    Due to having waited far to long to make this post my pictures are just going to showcase the highlights of the week. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	270182 Not 5 minutes after pulling that pin there was a sweet high tone at 6 inches.
    Well the target was buried between two roots, and it took over 5 minutes to extract.
    I mistakenly thought that there was only one target in the hole and continued to wiggle my small digger between the roots until the pinpointer no longer registered the target.
    This is what I first noticed. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	270183 I had laid the pinpointer down to take this picture and when I picked it up it went off as it passed over the discard pile of dirt.
    Well it turned out to be 3 dimes all nestled together between those roots. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	270184Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	270185 Thursday saw the second coin spill.
    This one was not as spectacular as it was only a 46 Canadian dime and a 61 Rosie.
    There was one peculiar find though.
    I have found many different religious pendants before but never one that could be confused with pocket change. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	270186 Friday had its ups and downs.
    The downs were a thimble that turned out to be aluminum and not silver
    And this WWI collar badge.
    Tacoed is one way to describe its condition. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	270187
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

I can never find enough old military items to suit me and I did not want to toss this one away.
    So what I did was bake it in the oven for an hour at 400 degrees then I tumbled it to find the edges. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	270189 At this point I almost gave up on it.
    It looked like it had been run over by a steamroller.
    Fearful of working the metal cold (I certainly didn't want to snap it in half) I put it in a pot of boiling water.
    And every so often removed it and gently eased it open bit by bit.
    Considering what it started out as I can live with the small crease that remains.
    And this is definitely the up for the day. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	270190

Made by Birks and dated 1916. Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	270191 Of the 3 keepers from Saturday this is my favorite.
    F O E otherwise know as the Fraternal Order of Eagles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_Order_of_Eagles Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	270192
    Sunday was a long slog let me tell you.
    It took 5 hours before there was a keeper in the pouch. Click image for larger version

Name:	13 (1).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	270193
    It is not the Canadian Militia button I was hoping for.
    But a British general service button from the 1880s will do just fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	13 (2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	270194
    Well I guess it is time for the money shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	270195
    And one last highlight, just because it is pretty. Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	270196
    Bruce

Comment

Man that's great!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Tom.

Hi 2nd OM. Wow! Some very interesting finds and I love those old coins. You cleaned them up well.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Those coins took some doing to get them clean Joe. They had sat undisturbed for about 120 years beside a duck pond underneath a huge cedar tree.
        toss in the annual fertilizer treatments and you have a recipe for cruddy coins.

Nice hunts on you Bruce.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Eric.

Congrats on the finds & the lovely weather. Despite rain all day Sunday, we've had a long run of warm sunny weather. Spent all morning out in the fields photographing old barns for a magazine feature. Lovely & upper 60s, 80 later in the week. Thinking about opening up the pool again... 😉
      Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        If you open the pool Deb I am coming for a visit.

Thanks for the walk Bruce. Super job of straightening that Maple leaf and those dimes were great. But as you say, all good thing must come to an end. Sunday we had snow mixed with sleet up here on the mountain. Didn't last long but reality set in - it's winter. Get the long johns out!!
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Winters here on this coast are never very cold for long Chuck. For the most part it is long sleeves and sweaters indoors and I toss on a denim jacket to go outside.

Nice shot of the park, love the colors, also nice looking over your finds, those silver coins never cease to amaze me.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

The WW1 collar badge what a find! Great job restoring it quite impressive.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          To say that I was worried about breaking it is an understatement.
          It was useless to me as it was when I found it, so I went for it.

Originally posted by willjo View Post
        Nice shot of the park, love the colors, also nice looking over your finds, those silver coins never cease to amaze me.
        Thank you Johnny. I really miss the fall colours back east. These are from the net but I well remember family trips just to see these displays of fall colours. Click image for larger version

Name:	Autumn-4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	270286Click image for larger version

Name:	Autumn-House.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	270287Click image for larger version

Name:	bigstock-Pond-With-Overhanging-Red-Japa-189315826.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	270288
        Bruce

Comment

Good greef Bruce that’s sooooooo awesome !!!!!
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Everett.

Great finds, Bruce, and you grabbed some stunning foliage off the web too! Terrible season for foliage here this Autumn, but can't win 'em all....
          Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Charlie. What is up the the foliage out your way this year?

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure why so bad here, but simply the worst ever by my estimation. That huge wind storm that knocked out power for a week(but we lucked out this time, yay!) did not help. 81 mph gusts here, and lots of trees down, and it takes all the leaves too. But just no color other then brown this year....

Looks like things are looking up, Bruce!
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Jason. This is the best time of the year for me. The ground is damp thereby giving better signal response.
            I am trying to break the 200 silver coin mark again this year but it is getting harder.

You just need to find a jar full of them, and you’ll be set.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            You wouldn't have a spare jar of coins sitting around by any chance???????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

I wish, Bruce.

I had undreds, maybe thousands of silver coins in my parent’s house when it burned. Almost all of them melted into a giant lump.
          My Mom was a postmaster in a small rural town, and when people would spend silver coins, she would buy them out of her drawer and bring them home to me.
          some of the only ones that weren’t melted were in a small safe I had left there. There were 150 silver dollars that my Grandfather gave her when she told him she was pregnant with me, it was to be used to buy me a crib, 😊

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            I am sorry to hear about the loss of your family home Jason. I hope that no one was hurt in the fire.
        Working...
        X