Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In honour of Veterans Week Nov. 5th - 11th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad was in the 65th Infantry in WWII A great short story is posted on line http://www.lonesentry.com/65thbook/
    Dad was awarded a Bronze star for action at the Siegfried line . Click image for larger version

Name:	dad.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	270962
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is an awesome, detailed post of successful military action. There was immense self sacrifice during these operations and we each owe a solemn debt of gratitude to these brave, fearless warriors.

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      He told us some stuff. A day or two after the end of the war he was guarding some German prisoners. They got a hold of a phosphorus grenade and pulled the pin. Dad was burned bad but below the waist never received a Purple Heart. War was over those medals only go to those in combat during war time. He used to tell us about taking a bunch of prisoners one night single handed. Basically they marched up to him and surrendered. Still a cool story the way he told it.

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Matt. Stories like those are very personal and add so much to our understanding of what they went through.

Wow some really spectacular pieces of history in this thread! Great way to honor our service members! Thanks for sharing the stories and photos everyone!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

When WWII ended the US Army disbanded the 65th division. Dad still had time left on his enlistment and was transferred over to the 9th Inf. as an MP stayed in Europe keeping the peace until 1946. Dad and his Belgian Shepherd Police dog Duke . Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	270969Click image for larger version

Name:	wy11.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	270970 My Dad and his twin brother they were stationed near each other in Virginia during training Dad was in MP school. Uncle Jim was a Navy man. Identical twins.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are great pictures Matt. Your father was a handsome dude.
        His smile implies that he has a secret. 😀
        Last edited by 2ndoldman; 11-05-2017, 11:42 AM.

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        The picture of Dad with the dog was taken at Wasserburger in Germany. Thanks for the compliment Bruce.

Today is the 7th anniversary of my dad's passing. He was an officer & a gentleman in every sense of the word, serving his country in WWII in the Pacific as part of the 6th Army Engineering Corp. after the war he served in the army of the occupation in West Germany. When he retired from active duty in 1958 he worked at the Pentagon through the grueling years of the Comd War & Vietnam. In 1968 he was awarded the Department of the Army meritorious civilian service award. To me he was just DAD & I miss him every day.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        I salute your Father and his devotion to our country. He could have walked away from serving but instead continued to serve at the Pentagon, which by the way, is not an easy place to work. My hat's off to you and your family because you too sacrificed for his service.

Thanks to all for sharing and to those who served.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3330.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	271267Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3323.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	271268 Thanks you Bruce for starting this thread. This is my Grandfather on my mothers side. He is on the right in photo with the cigar. He served in the 20th Armored Division. He had a love of photography and documented his time overseas. His unit took part in the liberation of Dachau concentration camp. I plan on going there sometime in my life. Some of the pictures I have are very graphic of liberation day. It does give me great pride knowing my grandfather helped liberate these people and helped put a stop to pure evil. It is amazing how terrible we humans can become. God bless the Greatest Generation and thank you veterans.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you very much for adding thes pictures.

N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

In honour of veterans day I have changed my avatar. Click image for larger version  Name:	phpEV07W2PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	237.8 KB ID:	271651
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

What a thread !!!! Awesome awesome
            As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
            NW Arkansas

Comment

I have a few more things to share.
              This uniform saver/ button polisher was found on a beach where there was physical training (running and marching in the sand) done during WWI Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	271704Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	271705 These 303 oilers were found on a WWI firing range. Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	271706Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	271707 And this lighter was in close proximity to the oilers. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	271708 For obvious reasons I count these as militaria as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	271709Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	271710Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	271711
              Bruce

Comment

Silverware may not seem like it has anything to do with the military.
                But when it is marked RCN / Royal Canadian Navy I think that an exception can be made for them. Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	142.9 KB ID:	271713
                The English broad arrow marks them as an early pieces. Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	192.2 KB ID:	271714
                Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	293.6 KB ID:	271715
                Bruce

Comment

Working...
                X