Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veteran's week #1 two nice surprises and a treat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran's week #1 two nice surprises and a treat.

On Monday was a day for surprises and questions.
    The surprise was this big sucker. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	271888 The sailboat is nothing special. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	271889 But that big copper (34 millimeters in diameter) turned out to be my oldest copper to date.
    It was tentatively identified by several guys familiar with it as a George III 1806-07 English penny. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	271890Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	271891 The question mark on the day came from this oddity.
    The wear marks in the hole are indicative of a dog tag. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	271892 And that is exactly what I was hoping for.
    The markings on this side are very similar to Micheal's oldest tag. Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	271893 Yet the back of mine is blank.
    I have a request into the Victoria archives to see if any tags were known to be made without origin and date.
    PS Micheal's is dated 1878 - 79
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	271894
    Tuesday was a day of treats.
    I had been working a grassy area digging penny after penny after penny.
    72 of them that day to be precise. Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	271895
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

When I noticed the lack of kids in the nearby play lot I slipped on in and did a quick sweep of the place.
    Just as I finished a pretty young lady came over and asked if there was any chance that I had found a silver native carved earring.
    Well after she described it to a T, it was a no brainer to pass it back to her.
    All I wanted in return was her picture, but she declined in part because she was a young single mother.
    What she did do was hop on down to the nearest bakery and brought me back a chocolate torte. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	271897 I guess that the karma gods were looking down just then because right after that I pulled these one after the other and called it a day. Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	271898 Wednesday was a day off for me and yet it supplied the only military find of the week.
    These came in the mail from Eddie.
    Thank you my friend for a great surprise.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	271899Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	271900
    Those two days were light on trash.

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	271901
    And the weirdness was less than normal.

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	271902
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I'm sure the young lady is singing your praises and you can't go wrong with chocolate. Those old pennies are huge, thanks for sharing.
      fldwlkr
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        To the best of my knowledge the British coppers were the largest. They did make two that were bigger, they are referred to as cartwheels. The one penny weighs one ounce and the two penny weighs two ounces.

Sometimes Bruce, the stories that accompany your posts are as good if not better than the post. Today is one of those days. Thanks for sharing and taking us along on your journey.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the compliment Chuck. I spent around 75 minutes composing this post.
        Sometimes it is easy to make the story flow with the pictures and sometimes I struggle. This was a combination of both.

As usual some interesting finds, on your English big pennies, I used to find some of those down in Savannah, Ga. They had taken down a full block of buildings in the old part of savannah and I was fortunate enough to be there before they built the new civic center. The old buildings had protected the coins in the soil and I found some really nice English coins and some real old American coins.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I would love to have an opportunity like that Johnny. The earliest actual european occupation here in Victoria was in the late 1840s. I get lucky once in a while by finding something earlier but they are usually very worn.
        If you have any pictures of those coins I would enjoy seeing them.

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought I had seen some of the English coins, I will have to look some more, if so I will take some photos.
    Working...
    X