Old Coin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Coin

Bruce I am not sure this coin was found on the lot in Savannah, Ga. but they were in this good of a condition without having to clean them. I know I found an 1878 flowing hair U.S. big penny but that one is long gone. I also found some later silver, like half dimes and others but they are mixed in with silver. I have crawled under several old buildings with my detector and found several Barber coins, they are protected in the dry soil.
    South East Ga. Twin City

That has really seen some use! Nice coin
    South Dakota

Comment

Johnny - can you make out what it says or what the lettering is over the head of the sitting form? I'm looking at my early American coin book to see if I can identify it but there so many that weren't officially minted that it may be impossible.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        That one is not an American coin, although it was found in Savannah, Ga.

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok - That answers that question. So - now I'll go to my coins of the world book but it only goes back to mid-1800's. Any ideas that will get me started in the right direction???

• willjo
        willjo commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like 189- something with lady sitting with shield by her, think it might be British.

Yes, that's a British half pence or half penny. The seated woman is Britannia. I would say most likely Queen Victoria on the obverse.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie it is definitely Britannia. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_34343.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	272210 However I have never seen wild hair like this on any Victoria coin. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_34344.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	272211
        Johnny I have sent these pictures of to a friend and hopefully tomorrow I will have an answer as to what it is.
        By the way Johnny, that is a cool find my friend. Click image for larger version

Name:	5593c78270ad2794accdff5f11746b19_1000-images-about-happy-funny-happy-birthday-clip-art-free_436-500.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	272212
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          It was tough looking at the profile upside down. I figured if the coin was from the 1890's, Victoria was the monarch at that time. But, you're right, the hair on top looks wrong....

Looks a bit like George IV, except for the knot in back of head...

Click image for larger version

Name:	78A28875-8EA4-4FB4-9567-D96BE1D96E4F-170-00000017F000D284.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	272235

Name:	B7E7D54B-1D0C-4115-981E-4A81058942D7-170-00000018381D57E8.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	272236
        Rhode Island

Comment

George IV reigned 1820-1830. If you can get an exact date off coin, it would be 182?, and not 189?....

Name:	12CCEABD-E25A-447D-A372-4FC59DE6EB46-170-0000001A34F5607B.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	272241
          Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, pretty sure the date is extremely faded on the obverse of the coin, and faded wreath-type design on Brittania side. I was originally assuming date was on Brittania side. If it's George IV, the date should be in the 1820's, but date is extremely faded, and I can't read it. My bet is on George IV......

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            The way the two loops around makes it look like a nine when it was faded as much as it is. I think this is the coin also.

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice find. On the 1775 half pence my wife surface spotted in a corn field, the date is just clear enough to see. The profile of George III is almost completely erased. We were elated to be able to at least read the date and know we had found a Revilutionary War era coin.

There were only 4 British monarchs in the 19th century. George III, George IV, William IV, and Victoria. I did some research and noticed most coins of William IV(1830-1837) had his portrait facing to the right, not to the left. I have not checked Canadian coins at all, however. Years ago, my wife found a 1775 half pence of George III. On his coins, the date is on the reverse, beneath Brittania. So long as the date here is in the 1820's, and a very faded 2 can be mistaken for a very faded 9, I think anyway, then this coin should be George IV(1820-1830).
          Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            "I did some research and noticed most coins of William IV(1830-1837) had his portrait facing to the right, not to the left. "

British coins are made with the monarchs portraits being flipped from left to right or right to left accordingly each time there is a change in monarchs.

This is your coin Johnny Click image for larger version

Name:	23668822_10208500832278656_6830064185090439996_o.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	272255
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bruce and CMD, I thought it was British and feel sure it was found in Savannah, Ga. I found several British coins and some old U.S. coins.
            Also found some Revolutionary war and civil war stuff there as well.

Great find Johnny
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
          X