Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One step forward, pause, then take another step forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One step forward, pause, then take another step forward.

The title this time refers to both the rainy weather delays this last week and my newly adopted detecting style.
    For some very odd reason many of my sites are producing far fewer goodies than they were when I first started hitting them.
    So I have been forced to stop my drunken sailor style of leapfrogging it around from one treasure to the next and settle down to a crawl.
    I have even taken to digging those accursed pull tabs in the hope that one of them might just possibly not be a pull tab. Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	237.3 KB ID:	273509

This was one such "pull tab" signal and I really thought that it might be something special.

My first hunch was that it had something to do with an old rugby club. Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.6 KB ID:	273510

After cleaning though it ended up in the junk jewelry pile.
    It seems that at one time the CIBC bank gave out these pins to people for "TRYING" the new ATM machines.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	156.4 KB ID:	273511

It has been a struggle of late to find anything to put into the gas tank.
    The roll of pennies were found, as is, on a ledge in the park washroom. Thankfully they were not strewn around the park for me to dig up.
    And the iron skeleton key is kinda cool.
    Chuck the Hong Kong coin is front and center for you my friend. Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	273516

Speaking of pennies, I did manage a couple of older ones this past week.
    The wheatie on the lower left will come back into play later on in this post.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	273512

In addition to the older pennies there were some nice old silvers as well. Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.8 KB ID:	273513

Silver bling is never tossed aside by me.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	170.9 KB ID:	273514

Remember that wheatie?
    Well as I said earlier, with this new coil, it is almost possible to predict when an older penny is under the coil.
    When that wheatie showed up I had that feeling. But there was a slight difference to the top end of that tone.
    That long silver bar was about three inches below the wheatie.

and it looked like this when it came out. Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	273515
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 11-29-2017, 11:07 AM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

After straightening and cleaning the markings became apparent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	273518

I can't be the only one who gets a chuckle from the marking on the back of that pendant.
    O M G sterling.

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	273519

Those two rings were a back as the ace of spades when they came out of the ground.
    For some reason black anodized rings are popular now a days.
    Who knew.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	273520

I still have a little cleaning to do on them but as you can see they are silver.

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	273521

Lastly my favorite finds of this past week were buttons.
    Now I know that buttons are not on everyone's wish list.
    However I think that buttons can be cool.

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	663.0 KB
ID:	273522

The fire department button is marked J R Gaunt & son Montreal Made in England Click image for larger version

Name:	20171126_103839.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	273524
    I had to scratch my head on that one but I finally found a reference to that marking as being circa 1901-c.1939
    I am leaning towards the 1901 date since the center figure is an old style speaker horn that was used by fire departments in the 1800s and possibly into the early 1900s.
    The flat button in the center is the smallest flat button I have found.
    And the cherub button is just cool looking.

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	619.7 KB
ID:	273523

Thanks for taking the time to read. Happy hunting and may your next find be the best find.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That's weird how a company would cover up silver with anodizing. Anyway good hunting, maybe slowing down will still reveal nice stuff.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I was totally confused by those rings when I first found them Josh. I felt sure that they were silver but the black colour totally threw me off.

I think the old timer may be hard to clean and the green stained dime might not go into gas fund, nice to go along as always.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        The old timer will end up in the recycle bin Johnny and as you noticed that dime is already in the trash.

GREAT FINDS BRUCE. The Anodized silver, now I see the picture of it prior to cleaning. The foundry at work here make ships crest plaques that are called BLACK BRASS. The whole plaque gets treated I believer in an acid etching which makes it black, then they get someone to sand all the high spots and gives the plaque a depth perception. My guess only. Again great finds

Comment

Hey Bruce, Some real nice finds in there. My favorite pocket knives are "Old Timer". That one has seen better days.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Those old timer knives are excellent knives Ron. I just wish that the blades did not rust.

The buttons are way cool! A 19whatever coin is just that. Buttons are more personal and I love researching my modern eyeball finds mostly bottles and such I'm up to four buttons. Thanks for sharing your journey and don't ever stop showing your trash piles!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I promise to keep sharing all of my finds, including those trash/recycle piles.
        I agree about buttons being more personal than a coin.

OK so explain this new style of detecting up picked up .... looks like the old style was working quite well
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I am just going back to basics Everett. Taking my time and listening to each sound that I hear. When you think that you have found everything, try harder is my new motto. 👍

Bruce I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing!!!! Cool finds!
      If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for looking Eannis.
    Working...
    X