Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
    Wtf~!
    Tom, if this is all my fault, I can never apologize enough. I'm trying to salvage things here. I guess my "problem" is I can see both the detectorists and the archaeologists points of view, and maybe I should have just shut up about it.
    Rhode Island

Comment

I am upset that we are not discussing politics directly effecting our hobbies on this forum. I'm not sorry if I upset anyone discussing Florida's (soon to be yours) archaeological political actions. To view our hobbies as non political and not get involved is dead wrong and they will roll right over you mark my words. If not here, where? If not us, who? I was very heavily involved in the Florida fight for our rights as collectors. Never Forget! I don't care if anyone else doesn't care. I'll care for you.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

As far as I am concerned, if someone wants to rake archaeologists over the coals, create cartoons with archaeologists displayed with horns on their head, and forked tongues, more power to them. I was simply pointing out that it seemed like a double standard where points of views of archaeologists and collectors were concerned. Obviously, it was not a good idea to point that out.

Still, when all is said and done, we should all be free to say how we feel about archaeologists, and their relations to amateurs and collectors within any hobby we share. After all, even though we all can defend our hobbies, none of us are taking the position "yes, let's destroy sites, let's go to an archaeological dig when the dig is closed for the season, and let's loot it." I have had difficulties with area pros at times. I never liked the manner in which our old local archaeological society was shut down. I resented the way it went down. But, in my case, I don't hate the local pros and I can understand their fears in fact. That said, I'm not crazy about their reluctance to share more of what they know about the prehistory of my home state. I just can understand both sides, and it's my fault if seeing both sides has created problems. I'm sorry.
        Rhode Island

Comment

I just don't think there should be a double standard. The information or topic does not bother me in the slightest and we all know I have been outspoken in past threads regarding collectors and amateurs. Its very well possible those conversations with the Tn archaeologist mentioned by Charlie were more political than should have been tolerated if we in fact stand by that policy. I have no hard feelings towards anyone in this thread, in fact i admire all of you guys and gals! But we should be mindful of what crosses todays political boundaries also.

​​​​​​​
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I have stayed away from this conversation ever since the political aspect was unfortunately brought up.
            Charlie, thank you for clarifying your position. I can appreciate a person who can see, and more importantly understand, both sides of any situation that is as contentious as this one can be.
            None of us here are advocating the looting of any archeological sites in any way at all. For myself I totally resent the autocratic way that the archaeological community is treating those like myself who love to find things with a metal detector.
            I have reached out to the author of the story that I gave the link to earlier on in this thread. With the hopes of starting a dialog with "Max".
            The author consulted with his editor and together they sent an email to "Max" with my contact information.
            As of this morning "Max" has not replied to the author nor has he tried contacting myself.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Then we need to clearly define "political" as it relates to this hobby and the statements or conversations that come up concerning artifact collecting.
              "Do not let your state make detecting illegal! It is happening in many states." Is that necessarily a political statement or a call to all to safeguard our hobby? Is it political as it stands or does it become political when someone makes an opinionated statement based on their political leaning? To determine what is and what isn't based on that statement in my opinion is far from being a "political" statement. Others may think differently, please lets get this out in the open so we all know what is or isn't politically correct when it comes to the discussion of our interests here.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It seems to me that the only members commenting here are part of the Kiva. Why don't we put this topic to bed and continue this discussion in the Kiva where we can be more candid.
                Bruce

Comment

Unless or until it gets out of hand I think it should remain here, this is an open forum and others may yet join in or read through the comments.

Comment

Just to lighten the mood a bit, I just came across this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25498072_884275711738032_3502208130758797940_n.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	277230

Comment

Skip ahead to the 26 minute mark and you will see how many of us feel. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6bp3ip
                      Bruce

Comment

• gregszybala
                        gregszybala commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like that, we are!

• Scorpion68
                        Scorpion68 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great video with that English type humor. I like the conclusion. Thanks Bruce for posting and lightening the moment.

• 2ndoldman
                        2ndoldman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, both of you, for looking.

Well I certainly enjoyed this .

Comment

• Scorpion68
                        Scorpion68 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And Tam - this is how you learn.
                    Working...
                    X