What is the point of it all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the point of it all?

Why the heck do we keep searching for lost things?
    Really, I do want to know what you guys think about that.
    We all get tricked into digging what is normally called trash.
    Things that people everywhere thoughtlessly cast off wherever they are standing at the time.
    Why do we dig this crap?
    Because the signals sound so good, that is why.
    I don't like to nor do I want to dig this crap but I do recycle all of it including those aluminum bottle caps.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	250.6 KB ID:	278375
    For most of this week I have been entertaining a fellow out of Oregon by the name of Stuart.
    Stuart's wish this week was to find a Canadian silver coin.
    Unfortunately that did not happen but I did try.
    On Monday (Christmas day) we went to the dark side, which by the way is the backside of the hill here.
    Neither of us found any old coins that day but these two interesting items did end up in my pouch.
    My friend Eric aka threedawgs helped ID both of these for me.
    The I W W pin is an early one due to the lack of the writing around the edge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indust...s_of_the_World
    And the naval pin is most likely Women's Royal Naval Service. https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...naval-service/
    Which makes this the second female military service item I have found this month.
    Sadly it was found in a gravel pullover beside the road and it has been run over umpteen hundred times. Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	295.1 KB ID:	278376 Stuart and I meet up for our final hunt on Tuesday at a school yard that still has some silvers hiding.
    Once again he did not find any but he sure clued into our nickle based coinage right away and came away with close to $10
    I was concentrating on the deeper high tones for the most part and one time even called him over to see if he could hear a signal that I knew was a silver dime.
    Nope, nada, not a peep in his headphones. Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	153.6 KB ID:	278377 These also ended up in my pouch that day. Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.0 KB ID:	278378 The medical alert bracelet is for a penicillin allergy.
    the CapitalCity Roadrunners pin intrigues me.
    Could this have been from an old car club? Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	278379 Wednesday was a solo hunt, Stuart finally had to give in to the rest of the family before he headed home.
    So he took the family to Craigdarroch castle https://thecastle.ca/and the museum. https://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visi...nt-exhibitions
    While I spent my time chasing pennies.
    62 of them in three and a half hours Stuart You my friend had a more relaxing day.
    To be fare some of them were old and I finally made gas money. Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	299.6 KB ID:	278380
    Chasing pennies though does have its perks. Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.7 KB ID:	278381 That ring is big.
    It could easily be spread out to fit a size 13.Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	278382
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Time to get back to that title.
    What is the point of it all?
    Why do we keep searching for lost things?
    Because we never know what we will find until it is in our hands.
    That it the point.
    And this is my point. Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	278384
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I can't speak for Metal detector Folks, but I guess it's just cool to find something others didn't or see or care about what it was or is. Better than watching tv. You found an arrowhead I have one of those, popular in 80's when people liked pewter things more. Had the tomahawk too lol. Neat finds!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh, the thrill of the chase is exactly the same for us metal heads.
        Thanks for the reply.

Bruce - Really a nice post and running narrative. Stuart couldn't have had a better guide. For me, hunting arrowheads is the excitement in finding something that was made and handled by someone 100's or 1,000's of years ago. Every time I find one I always wonder about how it got there and who was the last to hold it. It's an awesome and intriguing hobby.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I have those same feelings of wondering who held this last with my of my finds Chuck.

What''s the point? My unaddicted friends ask the same question when I want to linger too long at a gravel bar. I have stopped trying to explain why I enjoy rummaging through history's trash bin to them. I need to be outside and artifacts are a bonus while out hiking. Many days I find nothing but I still had the sun on my back and the breeze in my face. Picking up a point that has been in the ground for thousands of years is a thrill and for me, it is about that moment of the find. I am not going to get rich doing this but I am enjoying the day and occasionally picking up a bit of history.
      fldwlkr
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Tim, I have never been skunked entirely on a hunt. But that doesn't mean that I find treasure on every hunt.
        Those questions by the unknowing are universal throughout any hobby Tim. I can live with it because if everyone had the same passion and drive there would be far less for us to find.

I can't speak for the rings beeps and tones but the excitement of seeing one of those good finds has to be the same. The excitement of finding the good pieces and the possibility of something spectacular feeds the kid inside of us.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so true Kurt, I am 64 next month and I feel like a kid in the candy store every time I find something cool.

Hey Bruce, The looking is fun. The finding is fun. The exercise is cheaper than going to the gym. I hunted thousands of geocaches with no expectation of finding anything worth taking home.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen Ron. I took up this hobby to get off of the couch.
        Exercise, fresh air, friendships and discovering lost items makes this a total package.

Bruce not many people could write an article interesting enough to have a person looking at bottle caps, but I look forward to seeing your post. I got out and harrower the area on my property where an old house burned and me and my grandson will be searching it some more. The last time we did I had located a 1927 wheat penny, kind of. I had dug it up and in spreading the soil out to find it I missed it and my grandson walked by the place and saw it laying on the top of the soil.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope that you and your grandson finds lots of interesting things there Johnny.
        Keep us informed on the hunt and post lots of pictures.

Well Bruce, you finally got the point! I love it! And it's a beaut!!
      Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Deb. One day soon hopefully I will have one of stone that is just as complete.

I think it's modern reproduction Bruce sorry hahahahahaha !!!!! Awesome haul Bruce
      As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
      NW Arkansas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes me very sad to hear Everett. I was hoping for copper culture with a twist.😉😉😉

Thanks for taking me out. It is always the opportunity that we look forward to. The treasures come partially from the luck of the turn. Funny- I go to Canada and come away with a 1956 wheatie from the US as my oldest coin. Still had a ball except you could have told me about the hand warmers a little earlier!! Thanks Bruce.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha. Sorry about that oversight my friend. 😣😣😣

It definitely is a point. Well done Bruce!
      South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Gary.
        I would be much happier if it were a trade point though.

I just saw this . I was laughing reading your post and going on your ride along . You answered your own question really not knowing it . It’s all about the excitement of getting out and having a friend with you . How excited you get when you find something . You guys had a blast !!!
      finding NA artifacts is the same thrill but for me it’s finding something that somone handled and made thousands of years ago . Then like you the research begins .
      like Josh said .. so much better then TV

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Aside from the frozen fingers and drippy noses Tamara we did enjoy the heck out of ourselves. Thank you.

Yeppers

Comment

its all about the thrill of the hunt, trash or treasure its all how you look at it. some people just see a arrowhead i see something else, some people say wow you found a penny i say yep, found a rolex the other day.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          That is the perfect way to look at things.
      Working...
      X