• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model T

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3606.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	287009 A few weeks ago I decided to detect my old house site located on my family property's NC. I believe it dates around the 1910's to 1920's due to the age of the bottles I've found there. This is my first time detecting with both a detector and pinpointer. I finally purchased A pointer. The detector is borrowed but I'm saving up for one. I've got a lot to learn! I'm using a Garret Ace 250 which I'm planning on buying from my friend and giving to my little one. I first had the detector set on all metal but when I went over my site It went crazy nails everywhere so I changed it to the Jewelry setting. I found some interesting objects and a lot of junk. My favorite find was the Model T hubcap. The toy horse sure was sure surprising. One problem I had was the pinpointer was picking up all the nails around it. Oh so much to learn such as best techniques and tools to use. Most of all I want to be able to clean my finds properly. Thanks for being a great inspiration Bruce! I was hoping for a coin but only found one rusty round object. I am absolutely loving trying to figure out what I've found. I believe I found the axle to the model T. All of the buttons came from the same hole. Yea so many questions. Any thoughts on my productivity are greatly appreciated! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3605.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	287008
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

That is some interesting stuff even if it is iron.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That's pretty cool.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I''m liking that Ford emblem. How about some pictures of the old bottles that came from the site?
          Glad you are finding some cool stuff,
          fldwlkr
          Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks fldwlkr. I found the place by seeing a few out of place rocks sticking up and looked closer and found two bottles just sticking above the leaf litter. Got blower out and found the rest. The small bottle popped out while digging a signal. Not positive about age the coke bottle has a 20 on it no city? Wish the Chero cola wasn't cracked.

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            The medicine bottle does have an O square mark with an 8 and 4 on the bottom. The coke bottle had an LCW 20 on the bottom side. The Chero cola has a 20 on bottom side. I know there's more there just buried.

nice haul

i would carefully clean up those old horse shoes and that ax head
          both can be worth a couple of bucks,especially the ax head. theres a bunch of folks that collect them

looks like there may be a couple of plow bits in the mix as well

that old file would make a nice knife,if you know any one that does black smith work i would ask them to forge a knife from it
          them old files make sweet knives

and a as a 17 year Ford tech(in my past life) and a Ford person in general,i am LOVING that ford emblem

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            I would love to have that file made into a knife super cool idea! If only I knew a black smith. I've hung the nicer items on my barn want to clean them but got to make sure I do it right. Not sure what I'm going to do with the axle but definitely going to work into landscape.

Wow Sugaree you grabbed some iron there. There is a guy on this site that can tell you just how to go about cleaning some of those pieces up. I'm sure he will sniff this post out shortly. Great haul...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Baba!

Found first bottle around November found latest two weekends ago using blower. All scattered around site which I'm guessing is defined by four large stones sticking out of ground in rectangular pattern. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	287058

Comment

• fldwlkr
            fldwlkr commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a similar Chero-Cola and it is cracked as well. Look on the bottom of the brown cylindrical medicine bottle. I bet it has an "I diamond" or "O square" mark. That would place them in the 1920's.

Sugaree - I see a theme going in your metal detecting post. The three shoes in the upper left of your pic - the top and lower left shoes are horse shoes but the one on the lower right is a mule shoe. The two metal items above and to the right with holes in them look to be very worn plow blade deflectors. The sickle like item in the lower left looks like a drag to help guide the plow blade and the item at the very bottom left looks like a very worn plow blade.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PlowBlade.jpg Views:	1 Size:	213.3 KB ID:	287064

If you happen to find any of these let me know - - - Click image for larger version  Name:	Single Trees.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	287063They're single trees for horse/mule harness. Also - one last guess - that middle pic in your 2nd post appears to be a shoeing guide for the farrier when he custom fitted horses/mules with shoes on site. That's my farm boy comin' out.
          Last edited by Scorpion68; 02-21-2018, 08:13 PM.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Scorp that is the one item I've been wondering about thanks for the hint!! The place is located on a ridge above the Catawba river. Not much flat land guessing it's a small family farm and homesite. I can't wait to try and research old deed papers and figure out who used to live here!!

HOLY COW that is a ton of iron. There are so many things there that I can comment on but my phone battery will crash before I can finish so let's start with this.
          Is that horse lead or cast iron? For cleaning your iron pieces it is easiest to place them in a sealed container full of apple cider vinegar and just leave them alone for a month or two.
          By the way, the Garrett 250 is a very hard detector to use in and amongst so much iron. You are going about it the best way. Get rid of the iron and the better finds will start to come.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bruce gonna put the cast iron horse into apple cider vinegar today! I threw away a trash bag full of rusty iron before I took my picture. It's not easy digging here the site is located in the woods and roots are everywhere.

That's great work. Thanks for sharing your finds.

Comment

thats some nice finds, and some are just killer. one of the first things i found was a hub cap just like yours.

Comment

Working...
            X