todays tool find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• todays tool find

after digging a few barn hinges and a few odd chunks of this and that and a mule shoe i hit something good.

Ye Olde pick axe...grab a handle and it looks perfectly functional...nice find Tocco...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

sweet

i have an old one like that
      i use it every now and again when i need to break ground in the yard.

Comment

Just need a good Hickory handle there Toccopola. I use a mattock myself, especially here in the Tennessee mountains where clay and rocks prevail.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• toccopola
          toccopola commented
          Editing a comment
          the old guy that owns the place where i been digging said it was a railroad pick. i reckon its just one type of mattock.

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          I can remember the railroad guys using those to move the rock away from the rails and ties when they were replacing a tie. They came by the house in a little pumper car pulling a tool car. Things sure have changed since I was a kid. : - )

• BabaORiley
          BabaORiley commented
          Editing a comment
          Mattock...aka mad axe...same here Chuck. A good sharp edge will also clean the toughest roots right out...

http://msgw.org/pontotoc/wpa/wpatoccapola.htm ( this is a link to a short history of my hometown of Toccopola MS), the old hotel site is where i'm digging, it dates back to 1875 but there was a older home place on the site as well as a women's college.

Comment

That is a great looking pick.Thanks for the link.
          Your towns history is interesting.
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Great history article Toccopola. You shouldn't have to go far to find NA artifacts.
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• toccopola
              toccopola commented
              Editing a comment
              arrowheads are just about in every field and creek in any direction of my home. what i really want to find is where the french invaders camped here in toccopola on their way to the main village of the chickasaw about 15 miles from toccopola. i think i know where its at but only have a few honey colored gun flints to back it up right now.
          Working...
          X