No announcement yet.

Good things DO come in small packages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good things DO come in small packages.

It is a rainy start to the day here in Victoria.
    And while I wait for the Tylenol to kick in I figured that it was a good time to cobble together a short post.
    Yesterday I decided to something that I never do.
    And that was to chase those lower tones.
    I have said it before and I will say it again "if you want to find gold follow me."
    Because I normally detest chasing pull tab and foil signals.
    So, what I did was choose a place where I have detected multiple times before.
    As you can see, there are very few high tone targets left there.
    This was after searching for five hours. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	293635 Clad has never been the CTX's strong suit but it can be found if you know what it is saying.
    By the way that penny is a zinc penny and therefore it was not a high tone. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	293636 So back to pull tabs and foil.
    Can you guess what I don't dig very often.
    Same five hours. Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	293637 I asked this question yesterday. Can good things come in small packages?
    The answer is yes.
    10K Christening ring. Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	293638 How small?
    The dime is for size. And the ring measures 2 3/4 on the mandrel. Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	293639 FYI for all of you CTX users here.
    I don't look at the numbers before I dig but I did take a number reading on both of these and the gold postcard from the day before.
    the postcard came in at 12/09 the ring hit at 12/07 and the silver pendant hit at 12/06.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Interesting that Bruce. I'm not a detectorist but sounds like some good guidance there, particularly to novice hunters. I've toyed with the idea of using a metal detector here on the mountain but I'm pretty sure what I'd find - empty beer and soda cans, lots and lots of shotgun shell casings and empty rifle cartridges, and a few snuff cases. Not my cup of tea. But you've always had interesting finds in your posts, I guess because it's public land, Huh?
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Chuck, I do try to pass on any information that I have.
      You are absolutely correct about what you, or anyone else for that matter, would find on your mountain. However with hundreds of years worth of hunters heading into the hills almost anything could have been lost. From buttons and buckles too coins and jewelry.

that ring is a nice find. i just wonder how many i walked over thinking it was a tab or a chunk of foil.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Not including myself I personally know of 7 detectorists who may have passed it over without blinking.

That sure is one perty lil ring.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Lil is right Kurt. But it is pretty.
Working...
X