Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I made a few trips to my local scrap yard this week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a few trips to my local scrap yard this week.

Yup, this week the tides were right for some more beach walking.
    Some days there was not much to be had and others were quite different.
    One day my pouch was full to the brim and I had an armload to boot. Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.7 KB ID:	296967
    The next day I brought two pouches down onto the beach and filled them both. Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	287.5 KB ID:	296968 By the end of the week the amount of stuff kinda looks impressive when you think about it.
    I have no idea what the blue liquid is in that bottle and I am not going to taste it either.
    The Coke bottle is marked 48 (1948) Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.6 KB ID:	296969 I had one real heart breaker this week.
    It turned out to be just a hunk of iron encrustation. Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	243.8 KB ID:	296970 I bet that you can guess what I thought it was though. Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	296971 Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	298.3 KB ID:	296972 When you are pulling that much stuff out of the muck you are bound to get lucky at least once a day. Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	296973
    I have got to stop tossing away those milk glass bottles that I am always finding.
    The small one just above the spoons has some written advertisement on it and when I looked it up I could not believe how much they sell for.
    One sold a couple of years ago for $24 US.
    Ingrams milk weed cream is what it says. https://www.google.com/search?q=ingr...w=1386&bih=936
    These two were both a pleasant surprise.
    The lower one is a Schrader- Universal tire pressure gauge. Which was supplied to the Dominion Tire Company.
    And the upper one is a really cool coin bank.
    The B & RMFG Co New York http://bankcollectormark.com/?p=18793
    Would that have been sweet it it had been full of 50 silver dimes. Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	194.6 KB ID:	296974
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 04-24-2018, 02:24 AM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

My first thought was WOW what a nice navy button.
    And then I cleaned it and BLAH just another wannabe navy button. Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.6 KB ID:	296976
    As it was then, so it is now.
    The wooden cross is long gone, yet he is still here. Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.1 KB ID:	296977
    I placed this copper washer in with this bunch for the simple fact that even though it is hard to see in this light that is Queen Victoria's portrait on an LC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.8 KB ID:	296978
    This ring is only gold filled.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	296979
    I looked much better when it was still covered in muck.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	296980
    The Iowa State Traveling Men's Association watch fob https://www.periodpaper.com/products...047520-od1-395
    Used to actually be a two piece fob. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Iowa-State-....c100011.m1850
    Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.4 KB ID:	296981
    When this came out of the soup I simply pocketed it thinking it was another three leaf clove Girl Guides pin.
    Now that it is cleaned I have no idea what the heraldic images represent. :?:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	296982
    Almost done now.
    Only three more items to go.

This silver bracelet sure didn't look this purdy while it was covered in crude.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	17.jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.0 KB ID:	296983
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 04-24-2018, 02:26 AM.
    Bruce

Comment

It is only 800 silver but who really gives a hoot.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	296985
      I was tickled pink to be able to add this nice old pad lock to the collection.

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	296986
      And my pick of the week goes to the dogs.
      Lets hear it for 100 year old dogs.

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	296987
      My only regret is that the collar was not savable.

Name:	20.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	296988
      Bruce

Comment

Wow, Bruce! Your finds continue to amaze me! Just the dog tags alone are fascinating.
        Child of the tides

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Deb, old dog tags are definitely a favorite of mine.

Wow Bruce that is a lot of digging. Some great finds I do love the milk glass bottles. My local stream produces a Pond jar about every time I look. Thanks for sharing and happy hunting!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Pond jars seem to be everywhere.

yes Bruce this is what I thought you had found, a little derringer, found this back in the 60's hunting arrowheads. It was at an old house site where house was torn down and most likely fell out when house was being dismantled. Some more interesting finds as always Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5889.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	296996
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW WOW WOW. That is a gorgeous find Johnny.
          That item of mine was found on the same stretch of beach where I found the brass trigger guard from a trade musket. I was hoping for an old boot pistol. Maybe next time.

Great goodies Bruce, especially like the dog tag and lock...........

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Mike. Has your CTX seen any use recently???

looking at all the finds on the table made me think that would make a cool puzzle. Metal detector enthusiasts everywhere would love to put a puzzle together like that.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          What a cool idea.
          The possibilities are mindbogoling.

It’s a feast for the eyes looking at that mass of finds....👍👍👍
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Each of those items was a possible keeper until it was in my hand. Finding old discarded trash can be frustrating at times. The redeeming factor here is that it is all recyclable for cash.

Really enjoy these . I bet there is s story behind that gun for sure .
        Where is the dog??? Lol
        the little pad lock is my fav . If it only had a key .
        Do you ever team up with an antique shop to sell your things or is there more in the metal transferal in coin.
        speaking of coins I am really surprised about all the Chinese ones you find . These are immagranrs with every penny counts .

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tamara. I really do like that lock.

Looks like the tides are giving you a workout. The padlock is a a sweet addition for sure. I have one of those Ingram's jars myself. I often leave the milk glass lay for somebody else (What am I thinking?). Wish I had something cool to share but a couple marbles and a blue bottle are it this week. I always enjoy your posts Bruce.
        fldwlkr
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tim. I would love to see the blue bottle.

Blueberry soda ?? Floated in from Japan’s tsunami ... you never know . How did it ever make the waves whoa !!

Comment

Wow what a bunch of crap, oops I mean scrap...
          What a load you got there. Hard to pick a favorite but I would have to say that there are three in there that sparked my interest.
          1st, The old dog tag, always a favorite.
          2nd, The old padlock, again another always a favorite.
          3rd, The "Pocket" Dime bank.
          The pocket dime bank is something you don't see often.
          I dug one in an old dump site in Dallas (No dimes in it) I first thought mine was a lip stick tube.
          Darn near tossed into scrap when I noticed writing on it.
          One good thing about keeping all that scrap, you will not be plagued by tossing and finding it all over again.

Jess B
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the reply Jess.
            The dog tag and the padlock are a given as to everyone's favorite, I am glad that you picked up on the coin bank though.
            It is definitely a keeper for me. Was yours complete? I wish that the push pin on mine had been brass. The saltwater completely disintegrated mine.
        Working...
        X