ID:	302266 Click image for larger version

Name:	7C44F1BC-CB56-4BC1-BB2C-E42F7D477746.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	302264 Click image for larger version

Name:	B69505BE-7F7C-41A0-90D9-501D101F23F8.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	302267 This winter my dad and I gained permission to hunt a field near three churches, in the center of our town. We had long surmised that the field would have been a poplular meeting place as perhaps a picnic site, a fair ground, or even just a well framed field with the possibility of colonial coins. My town in southeastern mass was founded in the 1640’s... still waiting on the (pine tree schilling), and is rich with history.

But it with all of the anticipation dad and I had built for this site, nothing would have prepared us for what we would find. This has been a journey of 3 different detectors being swung for countless hours, quality time between a father and son, therapy time for a first year teacher learning his craft, and diving into local history of the town I’ve lived in my hole life.

It it all started on an unseasonably warm weekend in February.

Dad as and I embarked on a trip to go metal detecting. As we often had in the years previously. We were looking to go to a local wooded area that was once a colonial farm site. Upon getting there I had this weird feeling that something was not right. So I said, dad... we need to go to the field in the center of town. For years we had discussed getting permission, and never really gained any traction on it. Upon realizing that my grandpa and the property owner were friends I fostered the connection and we were in.

I could hear dads headphones blaring from his Fisher Cz-70 as we stepped into the cornfield... a solid repeatable signal in all directions. He dug down through the muddy ground.. fished around in the dirt waving it over the coil as he went.. when from across the field I hear him proclaim “Spanish silver!!!”.. I was ecstatic.. we had found 2 Spanish silver coins in 20 years of detecting.. this was a special find. For anyone who does not know, Spanish silver reales were used in the United States well into the 19th century as legal tender. So from time to time a Spanish silver pops up from under the coil.. little did dad and I know that we would find another Spanish silver reale, both dated in the 1740’s and that these would be one of 17 silver coins from the field.

This year at work for me has been trying, but overall an incredible experience. I’ve learned how to be a history teacher in a busy middle school with 110 students of my own. I’ve learned many important lessons, and even became a baseball coach at my school. Life has been great. But every once in a while I needed time to just be by myself, alone in a cornfield rain or shine enjoying the history we were unearthing one shovelful at a time.

Fast forward to march, dad and I are hitting a quick detecting session in coin alley. A name we lovingly doled out to one part of the cornfield that is particularly epic. I’m hitting Indian head after Indian head, I had found 4 in as many minutes. It was INSANE. Then I get a screaming high tone at 3 inches.... I figured, hmm maybe a soda can??? I dig down and immediately see the flash of silver in the flop... my prize? An 1877 seated quarter.. my first silver coin since an 1831 dime I had found in my backyard when I was 12..
    my excitement was palpable.

The days and hours rolled by, and the coins and relics kept coming. With every passing hunt the tallies went up 5-10 coins at a whack, and still continue to rise.

We’ve found 60-70 Indian head pennies.
    5 2 cent pieces
    7 shield nickels
    10 silver dimes
    2 Spanish silver
    1 3 cent piece
    1 Canadian half dime
    2 us half dimes
    1 seated quarter

6 us large cents
    8 British coppers
    too many to list.

finally dad and I said enough is enough we must know the history behind this field.

so we dove into the research portion of the hunt. My favorite part.

We found that this field of dreams was once owned by a brigadier general during the civil war. This man threw a party in 1864 with over 200 guests in attendance. This happened in September. And our finds have directly related to 1864. We have found tokens that are related to the civil war, as well as a most recent find from a hotel in Fall River massachussets which was used for the billards room... dated 1864. It was incredible to find that and too me... screams that it was lost at that very party on that night in 1864.

The finds we have made seem to suggest heavy use after the night of the party, and into the late 1890’s then..: nothing. It’s weird how that happens, but the property had apparently changed hands. It has been an incredible journey, and the story is still writing itself.

My my dad sent me a text the other day with a picture of me in the field swinging the detector. The text read... “is this heaven?”

And i responded “no this is Iowa” thank you Kevin Costner...
    thank you field of dreams.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pointhead; 05-29-2018, 02:17 PM.
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wy8.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	302243 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy7.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	302242 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	302241 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	302240 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	302239 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	302238 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy6.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	302237 Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	302236
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Comment

Comment

........😳.........wow dude....
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Incredible!!!!! Congratulations to you and yer Dad! You weren’t kidding about that field! I have no doubt sooner or later your gonna pull up a Pine Tree, can’t wait till you do! I wish you MORE luck!
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Pointhead
                Pointhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I just have to keep hunting new fields! Lol

The finds are outstanding Benjamin but that story and your ability to write is out of this world my friend.
              I am going to have to visit that site of yours and while I am there I need to teach you how to insert pictures into your posts. Click image for larger version

Name:	Calvin thumb on nose.gif
Views:	49
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	302360
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Pointhead
                Pointhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I went today... 9 more coins. One capped bust 1829 half dime, a seated half dime, a large cent and 6 more Indian heads... I can’t believe they just keep coming up

• 2ndoldman
                2ndoldman commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep sending those pictures and I will keep editing them.

• Havenhunter
                Havenhunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Bruce, your PM is full.
                Deb

A site one can only dream about, and great story to go along with it.
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Wonderful finds and awesome you got to share with your dad. Really enjoyed thanks!
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Killer finds, and what sounds like a super spot to hunt. After what you have brought to light I bet you will find a lot more. Maybe you will find some gold.

Comment

• Pointhead
                      Pointhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That would be incredible. The minelab reads gold around 8-9 I had been skipping those signals easy on. I’ve got work to do..I do doubt it a bit but.. one never knows!

Update: I just found a 1776 1 reale coin..

(which was legal tender in the US at the time). My first Spanish silver that I have found. Gives me hope that I may find an early US coin!

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
                      -=METACOM=- commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Were those stamped?

The detail on that seated silver is ridiculous. Awesome stuff, I hope you keep us updated.

Comment

Working...
                    X