Best find EVER (for me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best find EVER (for me)

I went to an organized Civil War relic hunt in Culpeper VA this March (DIV XL). This would be my first time metal detecting ever. It was three days of digging. The first day - 7:00am-7:00pm - was filled with digging junk iron and two bullets (My firsts) around 6:30pm. The second day went better. I walked about two miles (very large site) and found two chimneys standing at the end of a field. I found a flat button. I went two get my dad whom I had left back in the woods. We came back and started to detect. After five minutes of detecting I got a trashy foil signal. I dug it anyway, and out popped a coin-like object. A little while later, some dirt fell off. It said CS. I had found a Confederate staff officers button! We dropped our shovels in amazement. The house was located beside Harts ford, crossing the Rapphannock river. It turns out that on August 22nd, 1862, J.E.B Stuart and his cavalry crossed the river at this point, and undoubtedly one of his officers visited this house. Also found were these hand-made, hand-painted marbles. The best detecting day of my life!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Button really neat also like the marbles.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Any button from the confederacy is considered a great find, congrats

Comment

that button is a fantastic find.Those marbles are great too. Click image for larger version

Name:	awesome.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	304755
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Right on!
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

What a great story .. love the research you did to find out what you have ... fantastic !

Comment

For a few years during the war, union pickets were stationed at the ford too. Also, before the battle of Gettysburg, General Longstreet crossed at several points across the Rappahannock, including here.

Comment

To see an article about this button, and the exploits leading up to its discovery, find this months (July-August) issue of American Digger magazine. You can subscribe, or buy one off of a bookstore shelf (You won't find it in Walmart!)

Comment

Working...
                X