Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3916.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	310835 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3912.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	310834 Spent last weekend at my NC piedmont hunting grounds. As soon as I got there I went directly to my old house site. I've been finding lots of stuff but mostly iron junk. So I was surprised when what I thought was a dime sized coin popped out. And the next target turned out to be a padlock my third lock from the site but this one doesn't look as old. Also found a cool hitch of some sort. Yea I know nothing stunning but I don't care about value here just want to learn about the previous owners of this land. So I started to was the dirt off the coin which I'm beginning to realize it's to light for a coin. After washing I could barely make out a train and the words railroad backwards. The other side is to encrusted to see. So I need help guessing it's a train token but it's very light and small. Searched all over web looks like 100's of different token styles just around immediate area. Any thoughts? Can't figure padlock maker or age either.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Name:	IMG_3909.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	310838 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3936.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	310837 So Saturday comes along and my goal is to find one point no luck on the morning hunt and it's getting hot so I decide to bottle hunt under the shade. Not much old stuff but a few cool finds such as the Vaseline bottle, never seen the mosquitoes so bad during the middle of the day. Still in the bottle mode I decided to scan around the house site for a bottle. I do this every time but no luck last six times. Just happened to look under a log and there one is thinking old medicine bottle. Darn it's broken but I'm still keeping its due to being from the house site on my property looks old but can't make out bottle mark just a faint diamond. So evening point hunt and skunked again.

Comment

Name:	IMG_3914.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	310849 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3921.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	310848 Well Sunday's here and Icross over into SC. Im almost done when I walk up on this point just sitting here. Not sure of type but thinking a Badin? Nice on one side burt crude on the other. I've heard of Badins being called Badin Crudes so maybe. Nothing special but a fun weekend!

Comment

Congrats on a fantastic weekend.
        Obviously I am jealous of the point, however I have serious envy with the mystery item.
        I may be totally wrong but I think that you might have found a button mold.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow a button mold that would b cool thanks for the insight. It's very thin and light with a thicker ring around it. Was awesome seeing the train come into view after getting dirt off. Spent hours trying to figure padlock out key hole in bottom so guess not as old as the Norwich lock part. Thanks Bruce!

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          That would also explain why the printing is backward, Huh.

Man, you are doing my kind of thing! I love metal detecting! Goin' down to Savannah GA in a few weeks hoping to find Spanish gold hordes. (Far fetched. most likely will find Pepsi cans and modern quarters.) Keep diggin' you will find more!

P.S. Use a Thermacell. A friend who lives in GA says, and I quote; Ah ain't seen no skeeters, er squirrels er people, er elephants or nuttin, since ah got this here bug gitter thang here."
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks KP you are right about the Thermacell's they work great. I used to hunt in lower SC without a cell I honestly don't think I could do it. Had trouble looking through my face mask so many mosquitoes were covering it when I forgot it one time. Good luck in Savannah!

Sugaree - that was some weekend. I love coins and old bottles and that first bottle does look like one of the old Snake Oil bottles. It's even more interesting trying to date them. Thanks for sharing.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Chuck hope you get permission to hunt that big clear cut near you looks like a very promising place.

Sugaree that was a nice outing, on that button looking thing what did other side look like? I looked up railroad overalls buttons and there was some similar to that one
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow looks like you might have figured it out thank you! After reading your post I also looked up old railroad overall buttons and almost an exact match! The other side is to encrusted to see the writing. And there is another clue I found near it maybe an overall strap? Having a hard time figuring out deeds and dates on property but looks like house was abandoned before 1924 when Duke power bought the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugaree View Post

Name:	IMG_3916.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	310835 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3912.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	310834 Spent last weekend at my NC piedmont hunting grounds. As soon as I got there I went directly to my old house site. I've been finding lots of stuff but mostly iron junk. So I was surprised when what I thought was a dime sized coin popped out. And the next target turned out to be a padlock my third lock from the site but this one doesn't look as old. Also found a cool hitch of some sort. Yea I know nothing stunning but I don't care about value here just want to learn about the previous owners of this land. So I started to was the dirt off the coin which I'm beginning to realize it's to light for a coin. After washing I could barely make out a train and the words railroad backwards. The other side is to encrusted to see. So I need help guessing it's a train token but it's very light and small. Searched all over web looks like 100's of different token styles just around immediate area. Any thoughts? Can't figure padlock maker or age either.
          Im not sure if you are asking or not, but the long pointed item you pictured is a cycle guard from an old mower machine that attached to the tractor pto. Maybe early swather, but swather guards are typically double. The cycle blade slid inside the groove thats bent over and the guard guided the grass/ hay to the blades.
          Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks so much for the ID I looked it up and you are right on. Yea I really had no clue what it was. Guess it was machine pulled not horse pulled.

Love the lock that is cool . Of course the blade .
          I am going with button on the railroad . Maybe Jethro will see this and have a collection .

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Tam after digging up iron junk in the heat and mosquitoes it was a welcome find. Love your pic of the fawn!

Thanks , don’t laugh I just bought one of those mosquito or bug nets you put on a hat . What the heck I just put it over my head when I walk by the creek .

Comment

Working...
          X