Train Overall Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train Overall Button

Click image for larger version  Name:	BBE78CAA-8D56-47C6-A82C-CD2995385290.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	318575 I’ve about decided to ask Santa for a metal detector this Christmas. I’ve never owned or used one but I love hunting for old stuff and think it might be a fun hobby. Ha, I hope to be retiring in a few years!

Anyway, I found this bib overall train button (surface find) about 20 years ago at a ghost town in De Baca County, New Mexico. I think it would be early 1900s, possibly manufactured by Grove Manufacturing, which changed its name to OshKosh in 1897. I was just reading that they originally manufactured work clothes, like the old striped men’s overalls before they became a manufacturer of children’s clothing.

My grandfather was a railroad foreman in this county in the early 1900s and he always wore overalls with a red can of Prince Albert tobacco in the bib pocket. He rolled his own. His overalls weren’t striped though, just solid blue denim.

Good story , great research , good memories !!

Comment

• SeekandFind
      SeekandFind commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Granddad and trains, good memories!

Wow SeekandFind I just posted an almost exact match a few weeks ago check out my post titled Mosquitoes. I'm somewhat new to detecting also and have really enjoyed can't wait to see more of your finds. Love researching old company history.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• SeekandFind
      SeekandFind commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, Sugaree, I had seen your post! In fact, it was your post that reminded me I had this overall button. Thank you for re-kindling my interest in metal detecting! I may just buy myself a detector soon.

Sorry for the late reply here.
    That is a cool button, thanks for sharing.
    And I hope that Santa is good to you thus year.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
    X