Civil War Bullet....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Bullet....

I am new at metal detecting and need to get some time with it to understand what it is trying to tell me but got a new small construction site that is real close to a Civil War battlefield that is fixing to be turned into a few houses. I went by there and my detector is going off every step I take, which turns out to be mostly trash so I am pretty much digging everything. I got a good 16 reading on my Equinox which I have read could be a bullet. I dug it up, and first thing I thought was how heavy it is. It may not be the prettiest but Im pretty sure it is my first Civil War find.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8D5F5CA9-C031-4819-9745-0D9071789AC0.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	332201 Click image for larger version

Name:	3A30225D-54F6-4496-A9C5-E9362B09D01B.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	332196 Click image for larger version

Name:	8AF65C6C-7BD0-41B6-BEDF-5234656D12F1.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	332194 Click image for larger version

Name:	65B3AF7C-DE3A-496B-91FC-4564FEE3FB4D.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	332199 Click image for larger version

Name:	43B3C96D-B8D4-4F56-875E-474A2E00A383.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	332195 Click image for larger version

Name:	43B3C96D-B8D4-4F56-875E-474A2E00A383.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	332202 Click image for larger version

Name:	BBDDBF9F-8286-4BC5-9ED0-FF6E411C965D.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	332200

Attached Files

Great find. Looks carved to me... chess/game piece? HEAVY lead patina since lost. YES dig everything.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment, yeah I think I’m going to be digging a bunch of trash for now but I guess that’s part of metal detecting.

A little rough, but absolutely a Civil War bullet. Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great to find your first artifact of any type?

I am heavy into the Civil War, and the relics associated with the war. My dad has found hundereds of bullets and artifacts over the years. If you have any questions, feel free to PM
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it is a great feeling to find my first piece of Civil War history, I still have my first Arrowhead I found when I was 16, fishing the lake bottom in East TN. I’ll keep that in mind if I have any questions, I really appreciate it.

I agree a 3 ringer, I've found several myself good find for starts.

Comment

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I thought it was but in the rough condition, I just wasn’t positive. These hobbies are so addictive, just never enough time....

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
    Great find. Looks carved to me... chess/game piece? HEAVY lead patina since lost. YES dig everything.
    I agree with Tom. Great find, and it looks carved to me. If you swing a detector and dig enough in Tennessee you'll eventually have a lot of damaged bullets, don't toss this one in the same pile.

Google Civil War Carved bullet. I won't say they are common, but Chess pieces made from bullets are very well documented.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      And fishing weights, buttons and all kinds of artwork.....!

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      It is definitely a special one to me especially being my first Civil War find. Thanks for the information, I will check it out.

WTG MTH,First are always a thrill.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
    X