Ps 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ps 6

Getting down to the nitty gritty here so this one is a short post.
    In October I made one more trip back to Toronto.
    This time it was for a competition hunt.
    But what is a metal detecting trip if you can't get out before the competition to practice.
    Once again some farm fields were hit and once again I could not find stone artifacts.

The 1814 Canadian Spread Eagle half penny is my favorite from this hunt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	337367

Sadly the 1835 Speed the Plow token was cut almost in half by oddly enough a plow.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	337368

Now you have all heard me complain about being stone blind.
    Time after time walking fields beside someone who is finding sweet items has proven that to me.
    Now if you put me on a site where the natives had metal, well take a look because I am pumped.
    The site was a Mohawk village that existed from 1642 to 1674 when it was wiped out by a raiding party of Iroquois.
    And it was never reoccupied.
    The very first target I heard turned out to be a copper kettle point.
    After it was out of the hole there was still a target there.
    After digging through roots and rocks for what seemed like forever, I could feel the object.
    My arm was in up to my elbow and my chin was almost on the ground.
    Well that one hole produced two firsts for me.
    Not only the copper kettle point but a sweet trade axe as well.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	337369

Here is everything from that hunt.
    Including a nice piece of Huron pottery.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	337370

Many of you already know that I just can't leave something dirty.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	337371

Well the day of the competition hunt (the first ever Minelab Canadian Metal Detecting Championship hunt) came around and went away.
    And guess who walked away not only with the trophy.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	337372

The trophy also included a nice prize.
    A brand new CTX 3030, a set of waterproof Grey Ghost headphones for the CTX and a Minelab Pro Find 35 pinpointer.

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Congratulations Bruce. Nice win! Those little Canadian pennies are decorative
    South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      The older ones (1936 to 1920 ) were very nice.

Bruce you hunt some amazing sites, with some really nice results.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Johnny.

The ax looked like it had some marks on each side 3 0n one side and 4 or more on the other side, but I looked up makers marks and did not see any like those it might be some other kind of marks but it is neat any way.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I leaned a lot about makers marks on these axes Johnny while I was researching them.
      They are called touch marks and each craftsman has their own number of touch marks that they would put on an axe. For giggles and grins lets say that Bob used one paw print, George used 2 and Henry put three on his product. At the end of the month they tallied up the number of axes in the bin and the craftsmen were paid for how many axes they had produced. By that analogy Henry made the one that I found.

Kind of not a surprise. Can tell you love doing it and you are good at it.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely love doing this Greg and you can expect me to take you up on the offer of the trade site my friend. As I told you I have a spare detector and I will be happy to show you how to use it.

• gregszybala
      gregszybala commented
      Editing a comment
      Just give me a call when you're on your way, the door is always open.

Wow! Your doing good! I love those cents... the 1918 one looks pretty snazzy. Shame about the token though.

Those are some nice trade points! That axe is impressive as well. If you come down to Virginia in March, there was a Native American camp nearby. We'll get you a stone point!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Those points were not actually "trade points " "trade points" from that time period were iron.
      The natives made these points out of copper kettles, which were trade items.

Congrats on winning the competition. Cool stuff man ...ur getting warm. With the. Clay pottery
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh so close Red, so so close.

I think you ought to get a shot at Oak Island.. Thay Gary guy is the only one finding any real treasure there.. You two ought to team up..! Congrats Sir !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have spoken to Gary personally about Oak Island. The show is a joke. 🤣

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Wish I had the money they’ve blown on that show.. There are some good charities that could use it.I watch the show,but knowing hydraulics if there is anything down that deep.. I really don’t see a retrieval . The swamp and the cove might give up something... JJ

Nice historic Native American finds. The NA village sites we hunt have produced a number of trade axes of various sizes. I will post an image of one or more of my historic NA displays in the near future.

The brass point with the hole sure looks like a Chota style arrow point.

Name:	Chota1.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	337563

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for this, I was over the moon with that one as compared to the other 2. I wish that I had taken a picture of a gorgeous copper point that one of my hunting buddies found. It was a perfectly rolled conical point which would have been placed over the tip of an arrow.

hey bruce looks like you had a very good year, finding all the treasure and winning the competition. can you tell any difference between your ctx and the new one you won? i hate that i have not posted in a good while, now that i'm back on my feet and able to walk the creeks and fields again without pain i plan on doing a lot of hunting. i been arrowhead hunting a few times and found some real nice points but my metal detecting is not so good, about the only thing i found besides clad coins is a saddle stirrup form the early 1800's. i'm fixing to send my mx sport back to the company to see if the firm ware update will fix my metal detector, its really acting up. i been thinking about buying a new brand maybe a ctx or a v3i not sure which would be better for the old house sites around me that are littered with trash and square nails/iron. i saw all the treasure you posted from 2018 and they are just out of this world!!!, ps the last coin i found was a 1943 Canadian penny at 6inches deep.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      To tell you the truth, I have not even taken the new ctx out of the box yet 😎 Another detector you might want to consider is the Minelab Equinox, either the 600 or 800. I have been using my 800 almost exclusively since I purchased it in June of 2018. There is nothing wrong with either of my CTXs, the Equinox is just lighter. I do agree that you should send your MXSport in for retuning before you make another purchase though. PS I would definitely take either of the Equinox's over the v3i.

Amazing.....again!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom.

i got the mx sport boxed up and will ship it out in the morning mail. i have looked at the equinox 800 and read some good things about it but on the other hand read negative things also. as a 800 owner and user do you see many negative things with it. do you think the 800 is good enough to walk away from the ctx, i know you said you been using it a lot. did you win the ctx using the 800 or were you using the ctx.

Comment

I won the CTX by using the Equinox 800.🤪 I am looking to sell my original CTX and keep both the new CTX and the 800. Is the 800 better than the CTX, NO. It is lighter and quicker but not better.
      As to the complaints, Minelab has addressed the wobble and put a software fix in so that coins on edge are easier to detect. I personally have not had any issues with mine.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

i hope do don't mind me asking all these questions about this and that about the detectors but your the only person that i think would shoot me a straight line about them. and frankly the only person i can talk to that knows something about using them. when you say the 800 is not as good as the ctx do you think it woud be any better than the mx sport and if you do what would be a few things that would make it better finding coins and rings.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't mind answering your questions at all my friend. As a matter of fact if you PM me your phone number and the best times for you i will call and we can chat all you want.

Hi Toccopola, I have detected with Bruce many times. He has the knack for hearing the tones to dig. I think he could find stuff with any detector you handed to him.
        I have bought the CTX because he had so much success with it while I was using the AT Pro. I think your pocket book should determine the machine you get. If you can afford the CTX as it costs at least double the NOX800 then do. However Bruce has also been very successful with the NOX. So I think it is a question of cost mostly and what you want to spend. I started with the AT Pro and have been successful with it too.....but im sure Bruce will give you more info on this....

Comment

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike. 👍
      Working...
      X