No announcement yet.

How to know if you're in a legal area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to know if you're in a legal area?

I live in northern Virginia and I'm surrounded by battlefields, which as you know are federally protected. So where can I go to find out where I'm allowed to metal detect in my area? Thanks!

April

The battle fields that are federally protected are marked as parks or protected areas, no?

Aside from that, any areas that you have permission to search, I would think would be ok...but I’m not sure about laws in VA, except for the crazy speeding laws y’all have.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Check through some of the posts located on these pages, they will give you some idea of what is legal and works in Virginia.

Remember though, always get permission.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg pretty much nailed it with his reply.
        This is one of his links, and it lays it out for you in very simple terms.
        metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Cool! Do you live near Culpeper? I was born and raised there for a while. My parents lived there for years, and he metal detected all the time.

Research, research, research. Always research an area. If you are into Civil War relics, find old maps, diary's, and talk to the land owners. Don't pass up old houses. The soldiers camped ot near old houses sometimes, and at the very least, stopped for a visit (or raid). Once you find a potential spot, ask permission. My dad has found hundreds of relics just by knocking on doors, asking about the history of the property, then asking if he can metal detect. Don't be shy. Just ask anybody in a Civil War area, or anybody with an old house, etc. etc. etc.

Once permission is gained, always be courteous and caring about the owners property. Shut gates, fill in your holes, and don't leave the junk you dig on the surface. This is one of our favorite tactics. Give them some vegetables from your garden, give them something you baked, or if you can't cook, offer them a few of your relics. This shows that you are thankful, and almost guarantee's the fact that you are allowed back.

Like I said above, just don't be shy. Always ask. The worst they can say is no.

Have fun!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
          X