Historic Era Native-made Iron Arrow Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Era Native-made Iron Arrow Points

These seven Native-made iron arrow points were found in the late 1980’s on a campsite located on a small spring fed creek.

Last edited by 11KBP; 04-12-2019, 03:42 PM.

Trade points! I would love to find one of those. Are the iron ones more common than brass? I might in March, but I doubt it.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Those are really cool examples of Native ingenuity! Must have took alot of time to craft each one of those points using nothing more than stone tools I imagine?! I think Charlie shared some literature on how brass kettle points were made, I'm guessing these were made very similary with a little more "elbow grease" perhaps lol. Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey Dick, Those are some real nice trade points. In the U.P. copper points were made long before the Europeans showed up but I haven't seen any trade points from this area.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Nice. Who finds em more I wonder ...metal detector people or stone hunters..any idea?
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• 11KBP
            11KBP commented
            Editing a comment
            I have never found a metal point visually. All of my metal arrow point finds were with a metal detector.
            I would say the metal detector people definitely find way more metal points than the stone hunters.

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Red, I have seen some killer brass or copper points found in far eastern Ct. by metal detectorists. Just one reason, a big one, lol, that I wish I had got into that hobby as well. I believe I have been blessed to find two metal triangles surface hunting over the many years. In these parts, they would date to the 1600's.

How do you tell the difference between trade points and NA made metal points?
          South Dakota

Comment

I must say that those are quite well made points. The people who crafted them were very talented.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Working...
            X