First north east coast finds post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First north east coast finds post.

With the ground being frozen it is difficult to appease my addiction.
    Difficult but not impossible.
    Living close to water has its advantages.
    Anything that is underwater during high tide is not frozen during low tide.
    The finds here on the east coast are nothing to brag about but HEY it is a post.

The brass eared item is from an old brass pot. the two copper coins are British ais 1919.nd from what little is left they appear to date from the late 1700s.
    The date on the Newfoundland nickel.

On Christmas day my addiction took over when a spare hour of free time appeared while cooking the turkey.
    So I went tromping off into the bush behind my brothers trailer and pulled this.

Some of you will recognize what it is, for those of you who do not it is a mule shoe.
    Historically they used mules to pull logs out of the bush during the logging season.
    And with the swampy nature of much of this area this was done during the winter.
    So to find a mule shoe with the winter cleats on Christmas day was very cool.

Sometimes a mundane item like an old axe head can be interesting if you look closely.

I noticed the band on the blade and instantly recognized what it was.

This little hatchet/axe is blacksmith made and not a modern mass produced one.
    The banding was there to help hold the high carbon steel cutting edge onto the low carbon body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	342402
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Score ! Wow that’s really clean !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. If you were also not able to see the pictures I have rewritten the post as a take 2.

That is really a cool find. I dont have a lot of knowledge on old metals but that is clearly different being smith made as opposed to a modern produced piece. Bruce I have a feeling that Marty and Rick Lagina will be contacting you in the near future...LOL Ron might come along also since they are all Yoopers… Nice find pal...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Get Ron to whisper in their ears and I will be there in an instant. Oak Island is less than an hour away.
      PS If you were also not able to see the pictures I have rewritten the post as a take 2.

Very cool Bruce. . the only pic I see is the axe. Maybe my phone
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have rewritten the post as a take 2.
Working...
X