Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First north east coast finds post. Take 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First north east coast finds post. Take 2.

With the ground being frozen it is difficult to appease my addiction.
    Difficult but not impossible.
    Living close to water has its advantages.
    Anything that is underwater during high tide is not frozen during low tide.
    The finds here on the east coast are nothing to brag about but HEY it is a post.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	178.1 KB ID:	342804
    The brass eared item is from an old brass pot. the two copper coins are British, and from what little is left they appear to date from the late 1700s.
    The date on the Newfoundland nickel is 1919.

Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	182.2 KB ID:	342803

On Christmas day my addiction took over when a spare hour of free time appeared while cooking the turkey.
    So I went tromping off into the bush behind my brothers trailer and pulled this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	342802

Some of you will recognize what it is, for those of you who do not it is a ox shoe.
    Historically they used oxen to pull logs out of the bush during the logging season.
    And with the swampy nature of much of this area this was done during the winter.
    So to find a mule shoe with the winter cleats on Christmas day was very cool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.8 KB ID:	342801

These are from another low tide hunt along the Lahave River.

Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.6 KB ID:	342800

Sometimes a mundane item like an old axe head can be interesting if you look closely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	15.jpg Views:	1 Size:	410.6 KB ID:	342799

I noticed the band on the blade and instantly recognized what it was.

Click image for larger version  Name:	16.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	342798

This little hatchet/axe is blacksmith made and not a modern mass produced one.
    The banding was there to help hold the high carbon steel cutting edge onto the low carbon body.

Click image for larger version  Name:	17.jpg Views:	2 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	342797
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 01-07-2019, 07:49 PM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Lot of nice early finds there Bruce.

The shoe identified as a mule shoe is actually an oxen shoe. Oxen having cloven hooves needed a shoe on each half of their split hoof.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      DUH!!!!! I edited the post to read correctly. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
      Last edited by 2ndoldman; 01-07-2019, 07:54 PM.

Bruce it is nice to se you finding material on East coast. It would be nice to know it the pan cake looking thing in photo five was a really old and unusual coin or a battered up modern one.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Loving the hale out of it, Bruce!!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom. By the way I like the way you got around the spelling of that hot place down below. 👌

Nothing to sneeze at, Bruce. Very nice stuff. I love how you do the Electrostalysis . (not actual spelling, lol)
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ethan. Believe it or not I didn't need electrolysis for either of those. Just a tumbler.😉

That's better now I see the pics..mad cool stuff. The before and after pics are awesome . ..so what is a tumbler? I mean I have seen Rock tumblers. But metal?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a 12 pound rock tumbler with aquarium gravel for my aggregate.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a biggun

Let Bruce loose on the East coast . First thing I thought of is all the people living there for decades are thinking hmmmm this guy .
    Love those old coins wow . Now the ox shoe was new to me and I thank you for that learn .

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tamara. I have had several people come up to me here and ask what the heck are you doing??? They have only seen a metal detector on TV.🤪

nice finds I bet your glad to be back in the swing of things.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely am Matt. My knees still bother me but I am working around that.
Working...
X