Rock Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Lock

Found this down the river yday near my net weight. SW connecticut ...Yale locks were a big manufacturer if locks in 1800s. And pretty famous here. I don't know bout other parts of the country... Anybody know if maybe I can open this lock? It has rock growing on itClick image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_131708.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	348521 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_131715.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	348522 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_131722.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	348523 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_131813.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	348524 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_131827.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	348525 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_131838.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.5 KB ID:	348526 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190206_132017.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	348527
    SW Connecticut

lol that's a trip!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Ain't it? I think Bruce would know how to open it

Nice lock I think I lost that
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha.. it's no ordinary lock...it's an Ivy League lock ...

That is cool Red. I am no locksmith but I do know ways to clean them.
    Put it in a small container of cider vinegar and forget it for a couple of months.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bruce I'll try it ...it'll dissolve the rock on it too? Man it's like fused into the lock

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Red, I highly doubt that it is actually a rock. I suspect that it is more likely to be a dissolvable concreation. Try placing the "rock" on a hard surface and tap it with a hammer. DON'T smash it. You do not want to damage the lock.

That's neat!
    South Carolina

Comment

Is it brass ? Kewl !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx Yes it is brass. Have you ever seen Yale locks out there? I'm thinking Houdini's great great grandfather used it. Still has the hasp attached
        Last edited by redrocks; 02-07-2019, 02:32 PM.

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Sir I have seen them. As most brass they have become recycled. That’s a keeper !

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah jj I might try what Bruce said with the vinegar... Cool experiment

Yale still makes locks. Damn good ones.👍👍. Cool find.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jethro

That’s different always treasure if you look and find
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Glenn I got a bunch of old rusty railroad spikes I collected over the years and crazy metal stuff. I just bring it home and put it all in one spot ..if I think it's cool I'll post it on here even though i never metal detected

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve got a friend in NC that collects iron pieces old stuff

Of course Jethro knew that lol .
      yeah Red I think it will soak off .
      See ya in a couple of months with a nice shinny lock .

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya I'm gonna try it ...will be cool experiment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Odd thing, I saw an invoice in a stack of invoices at work for a purchase of some locks. We bought $63,000.00 worth of Yale locks at one time, from one company last year. We use about 8-10 different types of locks...😳

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow...where do you work? And please tell me Yale locks are made here...the company started in 1800s and the guys started it here in CT. Bout 20 miles from me

To heck with the lock... let's find what was in the box!

cool find

Comment

I would not open or clean it more interesting just the way it is !
        New Jersey

Comment

Have you seen the fossils still in the stone matrix? You could do something cool like that by cleaning part of the brass back to shiny and leaving part of it in as found condition. (Suspend from a wire so part of the corner is in the cleaning solution.)

Edit: I have no clue about the value of it, I'd assume scrap metal/less than 10 bucks. That said, improperly cleaning something like a civil war relic would damage value.
          Last edited by clovisoid; 05-09-2022, 04:35 AM.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

what's that piece hanging on the lock loop? Was it attached to something. maybe chains attaching it to a concrete block........see where I'm going....

Comment

Working...
            X