Detecting with Greg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting with Greg.

I have had the pleasure of getting out with Greg for 3 days now.
    The total number of targets each day was way lower than my usual pouch full.
    However the keeper to trash ratio has been fantastic.

This is a combined trash heap from both of us on Monday.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.8 KB ID:	369629

And these are my keepers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	247.3 KB ID:	369630

Greg pulled a couple of sweet items that day and will be making his first ever metal detecting post soon.

On Tuesday I set Greg up with his own pouch and pinpointer and set him free (in his own fields of course).
    So these are what I pulled for trash in the two fields we walked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	369634

And the keepers. By the way the top row is all buttons.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	169.2 KB ID:	369635

Sorry, I didn't realize that the shield nickle was upside until later.
    It seems to be an 1866 nickle, and should clean up nicely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	369636

Today was the final day of my visit with Greg and he managed to sneak away from work for a couple of hours this morning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	216.5 KB ID:	369631

Three nice buttons, another sweet looking LC and my first ever thumb scraper.
    PS I through the chip in there because I just couldn't not pick it up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	256.7 KB ID:	369632
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	369633

Last edited by 2ndoldman; 05-29-2019, 04:18 PM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Bruce that trash is neat and that is your first U.S. big penny right? You and Greg did good, looks like Greg was a fantastic host also
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right on all accounts Johnny. The trash is always interesting, it tells so much about where you are detecting. And yes they are my first US large cents and also my first US shield nickel.

That chip, if smooth on the other side is a Hopewell Bladelet traded from Ohio (or maybe Illinois.) That would have been a fancy relic for someone.

Here is a link to an old thread on them.
    Thought I'd share some Hopewell cores and bladelets from my Ohio collection. These are from various Hopewell sites around Ohio. http://vb5.arrowheads.com/media/
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Very nice glad you got to do some hanging out with Greg that is awesome Bruce way to go.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Next time down I hope to get the chance to meet you and a bunch more from the forum Matt.

This guy ran circles around me! What did you find Greg? Another pull tab. Another pull tab, a beer can...
      What did you find Bruce? Oh a couple of large cent pennies, a handful of mid 18th century brass buttons and a bunch of other cool things!
      It was really fun and this being my first as a detectorists was a real learning experience. Good times Bruce, thanks for taking the time to stop by and you're always welcome back.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        You beat me all to hell that first day with those buttons of yours Greg.
        Meeting you and your wife was a true pleasure my friend. I will happily stop by when I am in the area again.

Originally posted by clovisoid View Post
      That chip, if smooth on the other side is a Hopewell Bladelet traded from Ohio (or maybe Illinois.) That would have been a fancy relic for someone.

Here is a link to an old thread on them.
      That is pretty cool. My is not quite flat on the other side but it is fairly close to flat.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190529_183320.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	369707
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• clovisoid
        clovisoid commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup looks like a Bladelet made from beautiful material. A classy relic right there.

Wow that's an awesome array of finds....even what you call trash is cool stuff congrats to you guy's. That bladelet is soooo red....sweet
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah Tam a bladelet is just a nice flake used as a knife but ling and slender

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red.👌

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Your welcome brother Bruce...they occur from Paleo right up to woodland I believe. And that's a fine. One you found

Hey Bruce and Greg, You guys sure found a lot of nice things both stone and metal.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Ron. See you later tonight. I think that you will like the Johnny Stone I'm bringing along. 😁

Nice Find's Bruce!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josh

Looks like you guys had a great trip, and barely left the farm😳👍👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know if we left the farm or not.🤔🤔🤔 we did drive for a half hour or so, 🤔🤔 but it may have been in circles. 😜

Wow, y’all really found a lot of stuff , great stuff too.. All good !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you my friend. It was a blast detecting with Greg.

HeHe Bruce, it looks like the USA is getting vacuumed and you are collecting some very nice relics and points. Congratulations to you and what a wonderful bunch of folks you have hooked up with.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mike. I had a blast down in the states.

Like on them old coins I’ve never seen a nickel like that one
      NW Georgia,

Comment

It’s a great adventure you are on Bruce no doubt with treasures to boot . Did you post points with Johnny???
      OK I am all in on those 1800 pennies .
      My fave .

Comment

Fun thread
      South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Gary.
    Working...
    X