Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old can you get?

This quote is copied from this site. https://copperculture.homestead.com
    "Carbon-14 testing of organic materials found with Old Copper Complex artifacts has established a date of at least 6000+ years BP. Carbon testing of wood remains found in sockets of artifacts in our own collection has produced dates as old as 5900+ years BP."
    The Old Copper Culture is arguably either one of the oldest if not the oldest know human usage of metal in making tools and weapons.
    Ever since picking up a detector for the first time I have dreamt of finding something really old.
    Well at the end of this recent trip through the states the chance came and I grabbed it with both hands.

I met Chris aka copperhound through another site,

Click image for larger version  Name:	1a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	374986

And we hit it off very quickly. He and his wife Cathy are camp hosts in Northern Wisconsin, During their down time they both like metal detecting for fur trade and Copper Culture artifacts.
    The campsite that they monitor is a very rustic 15 site with no services. so to say that the week I spent there was a gift of solace after all of the driving (5500+ miles up to this point in my trip) was a blessing in and of itself.
    The first of our two outings was outstanding in my books while the second fell totally flat with neither of us finding bupkis.
    At least the human garbage was light. This is all that I came out of the bush with for both days.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	374987

I guess that it is time to stop fiddle farting around and show off my prizes.

The first one out of the ground is this stunning tanged knife.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	374988

The second really cool find didn't look like much off the hop.
    Initially Chris thought that it was broken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	374989

I was totally thrilled to show him that it was completely whole.
    My best guess is that it is either an atlatl point or a spear point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	374990

The last find of the day was a nice little awl.
    The copper chunks are pure copper that would have been made into tools if they had not been lost.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	374991

Needles to say while they were away I had to play.
    These copper pieces were found in the campground itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	374992
    My trip had to continue but I will be back there soon enough.
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 06-28-2019, 06:03 PM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

That point is really awesome. Pretty cool you found it
    South Dakota

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I am over the moon with it Gary. This trip was the best as far as I am concerned. 😊

Awesome copper finds . Bruce congrats man I'm glad your having a good trip
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I am almost home now Red. I had to make a maintenance stop for the trailer, but it has been a fantastic trip.

You wanted old, you got old! Those are super finds, Bruce. Love the Old Copper culture stuff.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Charlie. These will be the center pieces of my trip.
      Don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed with the lithic finds but at heart I am still a metal head.

Bruce, some good stuff, always fun finding N.A. material with detector.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen to that Johnny.

Hey Bruce, The copper culture finds are awesome. WOW that knife is just one of the greatest finds ever. Thanks for sharing the information on the ancient Copper Culture too.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron, I am still grinning from ear to ear.

Epic finds Bruce congratulations!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much.

I am getting the biggest kick you came to the US to find the NA artifacts . I-am with Ron I cannot get over that knife .
    Merry Christmas

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      My trip was all about networking Tamara. This forum is the best place for making friends.
      And guess what, 99% of the members live below the border. 😜

Really amazing pieces.

These ancient copper artifacts are unique and a brilliant addition to any collection.

Added to that, they are personal finds, which makes them very special indeed.

Good on you, 2ndoldman.
    California

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, the knife is definitely very special.

I think finding copper artifacts is high on everyone's list. Those are amazing finds.
    South Carolina

Comment

• 2ndoldman
      2ndoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      If they are not Josie they definitely should be. 👍

Yeah Tom you said it best really ..

Comment

Made me drool when I saw those!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
        Made me drool when I saw those!
        What makes me drool Greg is that I can see exactly how they pounded those nuggets of copper into a usable tool.
        This one is not as obvious as the awl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	375935

But here you cannot miss the cold melding of the nuggets.
        I say cold, because at this point they still used no heat to make their tools.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	375936

Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Wow, those are amazing! Now if you could find flint artifacts as well as you do metal ones, you could open a museum!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            You are not the first person to suggest that I open a museum. I do wish that it was just as easy to find worked stone as it is metal though.

I have always enjoyed looking at your finds, but WOW you out did yourself those are the find of a lifetime. Thank you for sharing and explaining.

Comment

• 2ndoldman
            2ndoldman commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Dave. It is comments like yours and the others here that make posting a true pleasure.
        Working...
        X