No words.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No words.

There are no words to say how happy I am now! Last night, I was finding nothing but aluminum pieces, and was getting a little discouraged. I knelt down, and said, "Lord, please let me find a bullet tonight. Amen.". I got up, turned my detector back on, and got a signal. I flipped the plug out of the dirt, and a Civil War bullet rolled out! I started yelling unintelligible words, grabbed my camera, and took this picture of the bullet as is. I found it 25 feet from my front door! We just grilled food at that spot the other day!

I can't believe I literally was walking over top of Civil War history, while I was lamenting on the fact that the soldiers were too far away, lol!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0119.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	382728

Name:	DSC_0120.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	382729

The bullet and bayonet scabbard tip together.

Of course, I plan on rippin' up the yard today!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Another awesome find, Ethan! All in your own yard.
    South Carolina

Comment

Great finds right under your feet. I like the lay of the land you live on...beautiful hills. I imagine your gonna keep looking around I sure would.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Oh man congrats Ethan that's unreal ..you deserve it there's no telling what your living on top of...I hope it's the walmart of civil war relics .
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Congrats on your finds
          Wyoming

Comment

Name:	DSC_0126.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	382739

Over 157 years ago, there were no trees here. It was nothing but rolling farmland, at least in this part of the county. The soldier standing guard here could see for miles, and had a good view of the furnace, and the fields (now woods) behind where I'm standing.

Comment

Hell Yea! Awesome!

Comment

I just discovered a brass Toe Plate close to where the other relics were!

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	141
Size:	810.8 KB
ID:	383036

Comment

To cool KP IF anyone deserves to be on top of a civil war
                  area ..
                  is this your backyard ??? Your on a site .
                  well your mother might-as well say goodbye to her yard .

Comment

• Kentucky point
                    Kentucky point commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Front yard, actually. I think what I found is a sentry post. The sentries would be in front of the pickets, and the pickets in front of the skirmishers. I think I know where all three groups were now. I'm just so excited to have dug something up in my yard!

Oh and yes, the yard is shot for this year, lol!

I bought a cheap Confederate flag, and hand painted it to look like the regimental flag of the 54th Virginia infantry today. They camped less than a mile from me. I feel honored to fly this flag as a tribute to their stay over 157 years ago.

Name:	DSC_0172.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	383636

Comment

Congrats Ethan. 👏
                    What makes you think that the second piece is a "bayonet scabbard tip" ?
                    It kinda looks like it may possibly be a cleaning round🤔
                    Bruce
                    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
                      Congrats Ethan. 👏
                      What makes you think that the second piece is a "bayonet scabbard tip" ?
                      It kinda looks like it may possibly be a cleaning round🤔

Name:	M1842Scabbard_tip.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	384268

Sorry about the small pic. See the very tip at the end? If you pull on that tip, it will come off. The soldier probably pulled it off out of boredom. Picket duty was less than exciting at best.

Below are cleaner bullets.

Name:	Bullets__element143.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	384269

Comment

• 2ndoldman
                        2ndoldman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I do see your explanation Ethan and thank you for it. I just have one other question if you don't mind.
                        The picture shows what looks like a brass tip to those scabbards, is yours brazz? It looks like lead in your picture.

• Kentucky point
                        Kentucky point commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's Brass. Kentucky has different patination than Virginia, and way different from Canada. Usually, lead bullets are white, while mine is a brownish color. Different counties in Virginia have different patina's on bullets, and even on the same farm patina could change.

In my field, I found a brass thingie-doo that had a smooth, green patina. What probably happened with the tip, was it was in a yard, versus a field find.
                    Working...
                    X