Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5322.PNG
Views:	145
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	387152 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5320.PNG
Views:	156
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	387151 Well As some of you know I stumbled across an old homesite on my family property last year. I was dying to know what was there and who lived there. I started off detecting the site with a borrowed Garrett Ace 250 and ended up buying it. I dug hundreds of holes and found hundreds of nails with a few cool artifacts mixed in. My finds began to dry up and well so I decided to upgrade my detector. This is my first hunt with my new machine. I've got a lot to learn with it. As soon as I started I immediately realized how much I was missing and how more productive it is not digging every nail and every piece of iron junk. My first hit was the thimble it's crushed I think this spot was bulldozed. After the thimble the next good hit was the 1905 Barber dime. It has a hole in the middle of it. I read they were sowed together or sowed them into clothing so they would not lose them guess they lost this one. This is my second coin from this site the other was a 1911 Barber dime. After the dime came my second train overall button thanks for the ID Johnny! My favorite find came next it was the pocket watch missing the top and bottom cover. Wait a minute! I found that cool engraved metal object I posted a while back trying to figure out what it is and yes it's a match! Finally I found out the powder and shot measuring device sure with it wasn't crushed. I also found four horse shoes and the third balance scale I've found here. It has been very challenging and exciting trying to figure out who lived here and how they lived.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

​ My next hunting spot was a beach trip my first beach hunt excluding a short look with my Ace 250 last year. I was hoping to find my first rind or gold object. Well I found my ring or rings but they are just junk but I do like the snake ring.

Comment

Awesome finds, and great work! Am I crazy, or do I see some fired bullets inside a brass ring, in the big group photo?
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes you are crazy most of us here probably are and yes those are spent bullets. I have no clue how old or type they are two kinda look like a wad cutters. The shot shells are mostly UMC new club before 1911 I'm thinking and some UMC Remington after 1911 when the merger occurred. The cartridge is a 38S&W introduced in 1877 I believe. The two smaller cartridges I'm guessing something like a BB cap or CB not really sure.? I'll post a picture of the lead at the bottom for you. Kinda cool finding this on my property I've enjoyed seeing your family property's finds keep them coming!

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        From what I see, (now mind you I am squinting) they look to be Civil War period, but I'm not sure.

Detecting is fun and when you find stuff like that it is super exciting, some nice finds there.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Johnny! Also thanks for the ID on the first train overall button wonder if there is more?

Some sweet finds with the new detector ! You guys keep posting all this cool metal . That way I can use them to convince my wife a detector is a sound investment.
      Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fldwlkr it was actually a gift from my wife my inlaws and my parents. I think you would really enjoy a detector tell her I said it is a great idea! Sugarhoo ha ha!

Awesome finds what type machine did you get for yourself?/
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        I got a Minelab equinox 800 it will be a while till I can really figure it out. Just been using the factory settings till I get comfortable with it.

Name:	IMG_5352.PNG
Views:	149
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	387192

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        KP I'm guessing they are somewhere between 1870 and 1915 but a total guess on my part.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you are on the mark. Postwar, but still old, and still keepers.

Hey Marshall.wow man thats awesome stuff ..and on ur family property? Cool . I really like how you found the case for the watch. Then the movement....its all mad cool.... good for you man
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red! I sure wish I could find out who the manufacturer is? The closest picture I've found online is from a type called a double back pocket watch.

That looks like fun times!
      South Carolina

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josie it is fun but also hard work digging. It seems like every find is under a big root. And the mosquitoes are terrible here.

Line and sinker, your hooked !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Lindenmeier-man!

I really like your site finds frame Marshall. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
      The snake ring looks like silver to me. πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
      By the way, congrats on the upgrade. The 800 is a decent detector. πŸ‘
      Oh as an aside I think that you will find the pocket watch is coin silver ( 900).
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bruce! I believe you are right about the snake ring I found an exact match online. I'm wondering if the cover of the pocket watch is aluminum it is so light? I read that in the late 1800''s aluminum was a very valuable metal till they learned how to refine it better. Then it became almost worthless. The backside has a gold color to it and some numbers I'll add a pic.

Name:	IMG_5359.PNG
Views:	143
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	387409

Comment

• 2ndoldman
        2ndoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't comment on it being light or not without actually holding it, I do still think that it is silver though. You are right about the history of aluminum, when it first came out only the very wealthy could afford it. Aluminum though tends to corrode where silver does not.

That ML 800 is on my wish list. For the bucks it’s hard to beat. Cool stuff πŸ‘

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Sage hen jack I hope your wish comes true. I sure love it!

Interesting things you have found. You set that frame up real nice
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks SurfaceHunter I can't believe how much stuff is here. Most of it is iron junk but some really cool stuff also!
    Working...
    X