Brass Padlock (Help with age)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Padlock (Help with age)

I was out cruising fields today hoping to see some tilled dirt. While I was out and about, I decided to check an old dump and hike some woods. The dump has been handing me marbles lately and gave up another today. In with the some old cone top beers I flipped this Slaymaker padlock to the surface. All brass with a little red paint left in the logo. Not sure on age but it will go with my other brass lock. It always starts with one or two items then, fast forward a few years, there is a pile of them. Any information on pictured lock would be welcomed. fldwlkr
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5133 (800x533).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	403884
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

It isn't terribly old, I'd say 1940's or 1950's. I'm not the authority on locks however. Bruce may be able to be a better judge.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• fldwlkr
      fldwlkr commented
      Editing a comment
      That would make sense Kp. The cone tops are from that time period, I just wish they held up as well in the Ohio weather. Thanks or the input. fldwlkr

I just sent your picture off to the Slaymaker factory.
    I should have an answer in a day or two.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Bruce beat me to it....it’s an old Slaymaker insignia, but not earlier than wwII I think.

he will superslueth this one.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Unfortunately the website for Slaymaker was a dead end. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191121_064032.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	404556
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• fldwlkr
          fldwlkr commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the effort Bruce. My search came up with a few pics of ebay sales but no firm date. Bottles from this "midden" date from early 1930's into the 1940's. Cone top beers were big in that time frame as well. Not ancient but still a cool piece of brass.

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that you have a close timeline for the lock Tim.
          I would safely ad 10 years to it (say 20s to 30s) people always throw away bottles when they are done with them however things like the lock were kept until the key was lost.

Fun thread !

Comment

Working...
        X