What’s so civil about a war, anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s so civil about a war, anyway?

I found these in the field between my Grandpa’s house and my parent’s house, as a child. I used to have dozens of them in several shapes and sizes, but I fear most were lost in the fire.

the projectile is a .54 caliber, two ring lead bullet. That is all I know.

the other thing is both ends of a buckle, one end is inside the other( I think I could separate them with a little force, they do move), and it’s mangled pretty good. It’s brass I think, could be copper, but it’s not quite soft enough. Can’t find any markings on it at all. Looks like a pack buckle or a web/cloth strap buckle...?

the field was part of the original property my grandfather bought from the former confederate officer that owned it, and the place was lousy with civil war relics from cannon balls to rifles and swords. I don’t think there was a battle fought there, just that the arms and munitions were kept in part of one of the barns, and my dad and his brothers played with them as children and scattered them all over “hell and creation” as my Granpa would say.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

I'm not sure what the other thing is, but the bullet is a .54 Cal. Sharps carbine bullet. These were used in the Cavalry service, both North and South. There are many variants, including the coveted "Ringtail" sharps variety. This is the common variety of Sharps, but still cool none the less. They original cartridge was paper, with a good size powder charge in the cartridge. These often got wet, and were tossed because of it. Come to think of it, that why most cartridges in the Civil War were tossed...

You are extremely lucky to hunt this place. That's awesome, keep looking!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was hoping you would see this, and thank you for the info. I figured if anybody knew, it would be you.👍👍

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I love studying CW ammunition, artillery rounds and regimental histories, biographies, etc. Glad to be of service.

Not sure but your other find looks very similar to a box clamp of the period. Nice sharps.
    keep on keepin after

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I’m going to google that....I have no idea what that is.👍👍

Looks a little different then what I was thinking of but here is a example of one. This says they where used to clamp a metal band, such as a packing band around a crate or a box of supplies. I tried to google it too. I hope you had better luck then I did.
    Attached Files
    keep on keepin after

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks a lot like it, it’s even perforated like a used clamp should be.
      I had no luck googling. I found a lot of crap on pinterrorist.

I think you’ve nailed it.👍

Pretty cool Jethro. I would love for you to find a sword.
    what a great turtle got a book . What’s so civil .

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      My Dad’s youngest brother has a pair of the Calvary swords he somehow kept up with his whole life.

They hang above his fire place. He had them appraised 20 or so years ago and the guy said they were worth about $40k each I think.

My dad told me where they used to throw them in an old cistern behind the old barn. It’s been filled in, but it’s about 18 feet deep. He said they threw a bunch of cannonballs and rifles in there too.probably rusted to pieces by now.😔

Idk I would check it out if you ever have the time . Was watching that trunk show and a guy had a similar sword appraised very high as well . Said he and his brother cut open watermelons with it in the summer . Was just shocked at the value .
    Ethan would go nuts out there with his metal detector .

Comment

Working...
    X