Had to bring out the machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to bring out the machine

The few small native sites I have to hunt haven't been producing much lately so this past weekend I decided to give the machine a go. Went to a cattle farm I have been hunting for some time now. Went two times over the weekend. Besides getting harassed by a few young bulls I did pretty good. Found a clipped piece of a 2 reale am guessing probably from somewhere between 1732- 1741? Also got a , 1821 coronet cent, a pocket knife probably from the mid 19th cen. , couple broke shoe buckle pieces and a few flat buttons. Probably put in around 11 hours or so all together. Was lucky to get any detail on the large cent at all. Old cattle fields can just destroy a copper coin, sometimes it will even eat up a silver coin depending on where it is found. They have allot of acid in their urine is what I think causes it.
    Attached Files
    keep on keepin after

Awesome finds! I see you've found some Civil War lead as well!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      FIND THE CAMP SITES!

99% of the time, battlefields won't give you anything but fired bullets and shrapnel. Find the campsites, and you could find Buckles (all Civil War buckles are valuable, especially confederate ones.) buttons, knapsack pieces, cooking utensils, gun parts, anything! Because they stayed there, they dropped a whole lot, even ID tags. Find them sites, now I'm all antsy.

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you mentioned you where originally from Culpeper. I imagine you found a whole lot of relics over that way?

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasn't old enough to appreciate detecting back then, but my dad found tons of stuff over there. Bullets every day, buttons, anything. He found a lot. Culpeper is also the home of DIV, where about 200-400 detectorists come onto an invitational relic hunt, and everybody comes away with something neat every year. That takes place later this month actually. I can't go this year.

Thats super cool. The knife looks like a Case stockman from the rivets. My first real job was on a dairy. As a 16 year old boy working with grown men guess who did all the clean up. If I left anything out there (like the hose nozzle) it would be pitted in days

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip on the knife. Will have to check that out. Yeah,cows must have some pretty nasty waste to eat up metal the way it does.I always knew birds like chickens do, never thought of a cow. Should bottle that stuff up and sell it for a draino or something.

Nice finds man Thanks for sharing these with us.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hoss. I would rather be finding artifacts to share. Just In a dry spell right now.

Good detecting on your part
    Wyoming

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

Wow great finds PointHound!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Sugaree.

Nice . I’m sure you know that they cut the coins for fractional currency/ to make change ect

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. I have found a few of them over the years. One time found a gold signet ring with the bottom part of the band clipped. The ring isn't colonial though, going by the hallmark I think it is from around 1840. There is a old tavern where I found it. I am thinking that the old boy must have ran out of money and traded the little piece of gold for a drink maybe.

Looks like a great place to swing the coil. 2 reale... nice piece of silver. Did they clip them to make change? Just when I was starting to figure rocks out, the coins and metal come calling. The learning never ends.
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      They did it to make change . It was a common practice in colonial times and the early 19th century. Get you a nice machine man. Its a very enjoyable hobby , particularly when the artifacts aren't biting.

Always good to find old sites with interesting pieces, fantastic finds.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• PointHound
      PointHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks willjo. Finding good sites is the major key. I have got to be hunting something or I just don't feel right

Bravo.
    If you have a detector, you will never be skunked while walking a field.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That's a good day PH. So what's the trick on getting them bulls to leave you alone? I had a young one back me in the corner twice last year. I was ready to jump the fence cause he kept getting closer. I had no where to run. Owner came around the corner just in time. I think they are like big dogs cause when the owner came he just turned and ran away like he wasn't being bad. I don't go anymore if I see them in the fields.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
      X