Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    That's a good day PH. So what's the trick on getting them bulls to leave you alone? I had a young one back me in the corner twice last year. I was ready to jump the fence cause he kept getting closer. I had no where to run. Owner came around the corner just in time. I think they are like big dogs cause when the owner came he just turned and ran away like he wasn't being bad. I don't go anymore if I see them in the fields.

Leave a comment:

• 2ndoldman
    replied
    Bravo.
    If you have a detector, you will never be skunked while walking a field.

Leave a comment:

• Kentucky point
    commented on 's reply
    I wasn't old enough to appreciate detecting back then, but my dad found tons of stuff over there. Bullets every day, buttons, anything. He found a lot. Culpeper is also the home of DIV, where about 200-400 detectorists come onto an invitational relic hunt, and everybody comes away with something neat every year. That takes place later this month actually. I can't go this year.

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks willjo. Finding good sites is the major key. I have got to be hunting something or I just don't feel right

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    They did it to make change . It was a common practice in colonial times and the early 19th century. Get you a nice machine man. Its a very enjoyable hobby , particularly when the artifacts aren't biting.

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah. I have found a few of them over the years. One time found a gold signet ring with the bottom part of the band clipped. The ring isn't colonial though, going by the hallmark I think it is from around 1840. There is a old tavern where I found it. I am thinking that the old boy must have ran out of money and traded the little piece of gold for a drink maybe.

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Sugaree.

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    I think you mentioned you where originally from Culpeper. I imagine you found a whole lot of relics over that way?

• Kentucky point
    commented on 's reply
    FIND THE CAMP SITES!

99% of the time, battlefields won't give you anything but fired bullets and shrapnel. Find the campsites, and you could find Buckles (all Civil War buckles are valuable, especially confederate ones.) buttons, knapsack pieces, cooking utensils, gun parts, anything! Because they stayed there, they dropped a whole lot, even ID tags. Find them sites, now I'm all antsy.

• willjo
    replied
    Always good to find old sites with interesting pieces, fantastic finds.

Leave a comment:

• fldwlkr
    replied
    Looks like a great place to swing the coil. 2 reale... nice piece of silver. Did they clip them to make change? Just when I was starting to figure rocks out, the coins and metal come calling. The learning never ends.

Leave a comment:

• SGT.Digger
    replied
    Nice . I’m sure you know that they cut the coins for fractional currency/ to make change ect

Leave a comment:

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks.

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Hoss. I would rather be finding artifacts to share. Just In a dry spell right now.

• PointHound
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the tip on the knife. Will have to check that out. Yeah,cows must have some pretty nasty waste to eat up metal the way it does.I always knew birds like chickens do, never thought of a cow. Should bottle that stuff up and sell it for a draino or something.
Working...
X