Cool old axe head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool old axe head

Found this where I plant tomatoes in the garden....gotta be early 1900s? No metal detector Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200320_132510_4~4.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	433258 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200320_132454_4~3.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	433259 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200320_132400_9~5.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	433260
    SW Connecticut

Nice piece I have found a couple at old house site on my place and ground one down to a Viking throwing ax
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks willjo. Did u try And date it?

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine were just run of the mill ax heads, the house was torn down in 60's so not that old.

Very neat piece, really cool if you could date it.
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks pao I'm gonna try to date it....

It may be older than you think - looks like you've found a small, double beveled broadaxe (hatchet?): they were used for felling trees & joint work as opposed to dressing lumber.

Distinctly and primitively forged, possibly from bog iron, this seventeenth or early eighteenth century axe came in the Abiel Walker (Alna) tool kit and was probably made and used by the earliest settlers in coastal Maine. Its lack of a welded steel cutting edge is a reminder that Maine early settlers did not always have access to high quality English or even American blacksmith made weld steel edge tools. A broad axe (also called a hewing axe) is a short-handled axe that has a long cutting edge intended for squaring up a timber such as might be used in a log house. The cutting edge is normally beveled on one side only.

the double
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ble-1799942750

single bevel
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ead-1947335107

restoring an axe head
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ng+an+axe+head
    Last edited by Olden; 03-23-2020, 03:06 PM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the links olden...it's only got one bevel..I'll look it up

• Olden
      Olden commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah , couldn't tell by the pic if it was one or two bevels - it definitely is a broadaxe, and used for hewing flat sides onto logs - Nice Find Red.
      Last edited by Olden; 03-23-2020, 04:05 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Broadaxe.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	433351
    Pic by Eric Sloan (Author, Illustrator)

Your axe would also have had an off-set handle

Venture back into the handmade world of apple butter paddles, hay forks, and other traditional implements with this fascinating and charmingly illustrated book. Its guided tour of folk tools and artifacts from the pre-industrial age examines farm and kitchen utensils as well as devices used by curriers, wheelwrights, coopers, blacksmiths, coachmakers, loggers, tanners, and other craftsmen. Written by a distinguished historian and collector of antiques, this absorbing survey offers informal but accurate depictions of "special tools for every job," from a holding dog and a hauling sledge to reaping hooks, splitting wedges, and felling axes. Scores of pen-and-ink sketches by the author portray simple tools and other items that are ingeniously devised and exquisitely constructed. A valuable textbook for historians, this volume is also a fascinating handbook for all those who love Americana.
    Last edited by Olden; 03-23-2020, 04:04 PM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's cool a hewing broadaxe thanks olden I'm liking it more and more.... Carpenters axe....now to date it!

Great find, Red. That one has a nice shape to it.
    California

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom...it's growing on me

Now that’s a great find . We actually found an old one and of course wayne refashions it to be usable .

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx Tam ..how'd he redo it. Isn't it better leaving it rusty,?

Cool find Red clean it up a bit it would look good on the wall in the man cave.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Glenn .how u doing down there? I can't access my mail or notifications

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm fine getting ready to go in and dodge customers in a few minutes.

WTG ! Might be older than you think ! That’s a bad A$$ axe !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks bro I appreciate ya ....I like ur description !!! Found in the yard too!
Working...
X