Any idea what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what this is?

Found this on my farm years ago, anyone have a clue to what it is or used for?
    Attached Files
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Gosh, I’m sorry to offer door knocker, belt buckle?
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Chest lock cover. Is my guess
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Top of flag staff ?
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I have no idea....i tried to look it up but i cant find anything that resembles it
          Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

The back is hollow with no bolt or screw holes . Those pieces on the side look like they snapped into another piece or around it I would say .

my head hurts from trying to figure this out and looking it up .and think SH got this with a type of lock on a chest cover .

Comment

The hole at the bottom is where the key went into the lock section
              NW Georgia,

Comment

”Bit boss” came up in another recent post, so looked up term, and ended up in horse-tack world. Apparently, it’s specific type of decorative do-dad on headgear. This one soldered close to where bit joins shanks:
                ​​
                ​​​​​​ I think SH pretty well nailed answer to “whatsit” Q here, and horse do-dad unlikely possibility. Still, I imagine if decorated some other part of tack, its design might include slot for leather strap. And, what bugged Tam bugs me: those two little protruding appendages on each side somehow served to secure this little enigma. They attached or inserted, or perhaps were meant to be bent inwards around something...
                Last edited by Cecilia; 04-25-2020, 05:48 AM.
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                X