Ghost towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost towns

Anyone ever find a ghost town to hunt? They can be fun. I found one down in Nevada last winter and had a great day hunting. It was not real old. Torn down in the early 50's and all that was left was the roads and sidewalks. A construction town in the 40's and 50's. Found a lot of wheat pennies a few merc. dimes and assorted coins. Best thing I found was a Taxi cab. Well a toy but a neat old toy in nice shape. Paint was all off but no rust. Two silver rings, part of a charm date on it of 1947, A old bus token. Just a whole day of fun.

What fun that would be. Wildhorse please show your #1 find ever.

Comment

There are a ghost mining towns down in the Big Bend part of Texas that I have visited often over for years. There is the Mariposa  Mine and the Lone Star mine that both had small villages attached where the miners could pick up goods as needed. Both these ghost towns are now behind locked gates.
      There is also the famous ghost town of Terlinguia TX., that is now a tourist attraction in the same area.
      Old School House - Mariposa Mine

Scotts Furnance - Used to smelt mercury out of cinnabar oar - Lonestar Mine

Ore Shoot - Lonestar Mine

Inside Jail House - Mariposa Mine

House - Mariposa Mine

Comment

That is the same up here. Any old towns that are known about are closed to hunting. You need to find something that no one knows about. It can be done I have done it a few times. Then you can hunt them. Old mines, old homesteads and old farms are great. Even old houses and schools are good for silver coins. The list could go on and on as just about anywhere people gather there are coins. Now on the question of the best I have ever found. Tough for I like mostly the silver coins. Photo of a few last ones found. I have one gold ring (in photo) that I was told cost somewhere around $800. Not worth that now of course but still the one most valueable thing I think. I have found things that I think are neat but others may not think so. Tell you about one. There is a place down by Yuma called the Imperial Dunes. Back in the turn of the century they built a log road across the dunes. The dunes kept moving all the time so the road could be lifted or lowered as the sand moved around it. There is a section of the road still there and a plack telling about the history of 1914 construction. Right next to this is a parking lot and camping area for 4wheelers who ride the dunes. I hunted this area and found a copper plate off a road building machine. It was dated 1914 issued in Calif. I think that these kind of artifacts are really cool and like them the best. Well OK gotta get to work around here. Thanks for the question it is fun.
           Attached files 

Comment

Man I can hardly wait 'till the good weather gets here!!!! :woohoo:

Comment

Found the photos of the ghost town in my winter stuff from Arizona. This is what we look for while out running in the Jeep.

Comment

Looks like a mining town.

Comment

Yes there were metal parts scattered all over the ground. Lots of cans and junk. But a few coins along the way. It's fun just to be there dont need to find anything.

Comment

Maraposa Mine machine left behind.

Comment

Wish I had just one cent for every shot waisted shooting up things in the desert. Seems like people shoot up everything out there. Well at least those things wont get picked up anymore after all the holes. I found a old bottle dump one time and every old bottle had been moved over to a small hill and shot to bits. Even some of the Indian rock art I see is shot. Go figure?

Comment

I know where theres lots of Old homesteads made from rock with boulder corrals and such..!

Comment

Ya got a metal detector? Those are the fun places to hunt as you never know what you will dig up. Sometimes they buried some good stuff around those. I have not been lucky to find any real treasure but I know it has been found.

Comment

Found some more photo's of a Ghost town I hunt in Arizona.  There is a neat cave nearby and I found one arrowhead down below this. The others show the large stone fireplace that was the center of the town center. Very cool area and lots of neat things to find.

Comment

I like those old towns that have been forgotten for the most part. My Great Grandfather owned a small town call Calina that was near Moody Texas but is no longer there. I know about where its at, need to take a metal detector there and see if I can find anything.

Comment

Yes that would be a very fun thing to do. You may find a lot as those places if not hunted a lot can sure turn up some neat stuff. Sometimes you can come up with some really valuable things as a lot of people buried their money in the early days. Stories about cash in canning jars keeps me going out the the old ghost towns. One guy found that there was a tavern bar type place that had a wood floor with cracks. Burned down and he found a lot of nice coins where it used to be. Just never know and that is the fun part. Just when and where will that treasure be.

Comment

Working...
                              X