• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bormann Time Fuse

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6450.PNG
Views:	280
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	456235 The Bormann fuse is named after its inventor. Belgian Army Captain Charles G. Bormann. This was a timed fuse used mostly with roundball "cannonball" and some smaller rifled artillary shells during the Civil War. It was first used by the US Navy and Army around 1852 and was the most common fuse used with cannonball's after the first year of the war. This fuse was a lead and tin disk with time markings. These time markings were in seconds and Quarter seconds up to 5 & 1/4 seconds for US rounds Confederate fuses had slight variations. The artillerist used a metal punch to pierce the powder train at a desired time marking. This then exposed the powder train. The flame from the cannons discharge would ignite the powder train. It would burn at a known rate. When the powder reached the zero mark it would set off a booster charge that would ignite the main charge exploding the cannonball and sending shrapnel and caseshot out in all directions. This fuse which I found in coastal NC refer to my older post The USS Columbia for more details was "rusted " to an iron ship shard. I didn't even know it was there till a few weeks ago. I have been working on preserving these artifact's and added a few cleanup pics. The pickax is my favorite. There is a blockade runner that has been excavated not far from my site Location called the Modern Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6452.PNG
Views:	236
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	456234 Greece. The contents of this ship are catalogued with good pictures on the web. This ship had 91 of the same type pickax as cargo. My ax is broken in half. The small cilinder object is a chunk of a zinc timed fuse for probably a rifled artillary shell. The other object is a ship shackle. Hope everyone is staying safe and doing well out there thanks for the look!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6459.PNG
Views:	236
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	456238 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6456.PNG
Views:	224
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	456237
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Wow Marshall..those are some cool discoveries..very interesting......I see uve gotten into detecting......all awesome....but I love. the pickax. Keep up the finds!

​​​​​​

SW Connecticut

Comment

Very cool! thanks for sharing the finds and the history with us.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Nice finds Marshal I never saw one of those fuses. Learn something new every day at arrowheads.com
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Hoss I didn't know about them till I found it. It's amazing how much I've learned about Blockade running and artillary use during the Civil War I've been obsessed by it!

Some really good finds looks like you have been busy.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks SurfaceHunter I haven't been artifact hunting as much as usual lately work has been crazy but plan on getting out more soon.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Work is good but I feel your pain on the crazy part. I've never slept so much in my life just feel wore out all the time. Hope it gets better soon for us.

Nice Finds!
          A little more background info. about the blockade runner 'Modern Greece'.
          Interesting that it took 100 years to salvage the ship, but I guess Fort Fisher was a concern..
          Thought to be lost to history, archaeologists with our organization recovered priceless artifacts from the wreck of this blockade runner. Learn more about naval action in North Carolina during the Civil War and find out to see cool artifacts.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Olden I plan on seeing some of the artifact's from the Modern Greece in a few days if the Ft. Fisher museum is open. It was amazing how many artifact's they salvaged from the site. The video shows pickaxes just like mine.
        Working...
        X