First Civ Bullet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Civ Bullet?

​ The family and I went on our summer vacation to the NC coast. I had been looking forward to it for quite some time. Its where my Civil War site is located. Well I did my best at hunting the spot. My favorite thing I found was the bullet thinking it's my first Civ bullet? Maybe a 54 Cal help would really be appreciated. The bullet has one visible ring and is just a hair over an I nch tall and 1/2 inch wide. I ended up finding lots of case shot and a few Parrot and Cannonball fragments that are in rough shape but will try my best to preserve them. I also got another Bormann fuse. I spent some time beach hunting with the detector. Didn't find anything really cool just some junk jewelry and clad coins. I did find my first diamond ring on my last trip a couple months ago. It's just a tiny diamond and 10k gold but my first. Well I had to take the new pup to camp before the beach trip and that just happens to be near my rock hunting spots in the NC Piedmont. After a quick hunt just found one broke. So after the trip on the way back home I'm thinking the dog might just have to use the bathroom at a spot I occasionally hunt on way home. After a very quick hunt I found the broken triangle maybe a Pisgah. There were two mysterious items that I found at my Civ site the copper circular items any ideas. The other is a metal handle looking thing that has rubber attached to it that says VOSTA V3 and numbers on the back. An internet search only reveals on thing with that name a treadmill part. Thinking just coincidence and it's something else just a weird mystery item any thoughts. Thanks for the look everyone!
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6510.PNG
Views:	200
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	461365 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6503.PNG
Views:	207
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	461364

Comment

Name:	IMG_6511.PNG
Views:	195
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	461371 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6505.PNG
Views:	202
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	461370

Comment

Dang that's a lot of finds best of both worlds. Where is KP he knows his stuff when it comes to this. Me not so much but I sure do enjoy looking at what you find.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks SurfaceHunter it was a lot of digging but sure was fun finding these artifact's.

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Your right I hope KP sees this I sure would like his help!

Very nice Sugaree, were all the musket balls found in the same site?
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks antmike915! Yes all of the balls were found very close to each other but they are not Musket balls they are case shot. They come from inside cannonballs that were probably broken open by a bulldozer after being dredged out of an inlet and deposited on the beach according to the archeologist I contacted. My post USS Columbia explains more about how they got there.

Hey Marshall. Wow man good to see ur having fun with the new metal detecting hobby......all cool finds...nice points too. As far as the bullet goes. .... That looks like one that I used to help my buddy make with a lead mold he has...black powder musket. He used to do civil war reenactment stuff .... I fired that gun ..I think 55 caliber or something.......congrats on the successful. Hunting!!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Red! Yea I've been trying to ID the bullet and having a little trouble. Most examples I've seen that look like mine have more then one ring. This bullet might have had more rings that have been erased due to the giant tumbler it came from the Ocean and sand. Thinking it's some kind of 54cal. Finding this stuff has set me off on a historical journey that I've really enjoyed. Trying to figure out what some of these items are is quite a task but sure is rewarding.

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll call my friend and ask him about the rings on the mold ... Might be authentic Civ mold...

Marshall, I have no idea what you are showing in your first picture. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are totally recognizable Whereas with the 4th and 5th I am back to scratching my head.
        Beauty of a triangle in 6 and another amazing civil war find in 7.As to your bullet, my opinion is that it is authentic. Clean the dirt out of the "cup" on the back. You may find a number or letter stamped in side.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Bruce! The first picture I see on my screen is the Bullet. Strange because it's not the first picture I posted. That picture looks like it disappeared just my stuff I found on the beach non Civil War site. I'll repost it but nothing special just a lot of beach wondering. So now I'm a little confused on picture order. The two unique items I have no clue either. Only reason I posted it was because it came from Civ hole and does have a logo on it VOSTA V3 just a shot in dark someone might know. The other thing a copper ring came from that same hole also. I've seen some Dalghren sabots that have something that looks similar but doubt that's what it is. Porthole thinking no also. The dirt in the bullet cup is actually saltwater concretion. I'm gonna try to get it out but it's solid and don't wanna mess it up. Didn't know they had numbers on cup thanks. Can't find any one ringers that look like mine on web. I'd love to figure it out Union or Confederate type? Got a few more surprises hopefully in big concretion masses I'll eventually break open.

• Sugaree
          Sugaree commented
          Editing a comment
          After some research last night I'm thinking the dirt in cup of bullet maybe wood from plug. Possibly an Enfield type bullet that has a boxwood plug that has fossilized. The plug was to keep the bullets shape during transport but don't really know just a guess.

Name:	IMG_6506.PNG
Views:	196
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	461802

Comment

Marshall, this is what I see as your first picture.

Name:	20200616_170654.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	461976
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a Bormann fuse. Check out my last post in the Metal Detecting section titled Bormann Timed Fuse. It was covered in ocean growth hoped I could read all the numbers on this one but just being able to make out a couple is awesome. Bormann's found are usually mangled due to being made of tin and lead. Oh yea and being fired out of a cannon. Dozer probably boke this one off shattered cannonball during beach renourishment.

You sure found a lot of cool things Marshall. This metal detecting is going to take away from your point hunting, but change can be good! A civil war bullet would be excellent!
          South Dakota

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Gary you are right it probably does cut into my point hunting. The thing that I really like about some of the detecting finds is the research aspect of personal items. For this one it has led me to the names of these people who served on the ship and what is known of what happened to them. The first crew when the ship was a blockade runner went to a Union Prison. After becoming a US ship the Union soldiers when captured went to two places Officers to one and enlisted men to the famous Confederate prison here in NC Salisbury. Just so many historical roads to follow. Don't worry I'll always be obsessed with prehistoric artifact's just diversifying a little.

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            My GGGGreat uncle served in the 148th PA. He was captured at The Crater in Petersburg, and sent to Salisbury NC. He died that year in the prison camp. He's buried there I do believe. Whether he is in a mass grave or a single grave is unknown to me.

KP must be off working some where I remember him saying he had a job now.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            A job and a screwed up family, it's crazy around here...

First off, the fact that you found so many roundballs is outstanding! I think I told you before, these are all caseshot balls from exploding shells. The Boremann fuse is incredible, and are often not found in that condition. That's the best find fore sure!

The bullet is definitely from the Civil War, but because the rings are not very clear, it's hard to say what kind it is. This appears to be an Enfield, from the Wood plug in the base. Enfields were used by the Confederacy the majority of the time, and in sparse instances the Union used them as well. Does the groove in the bullet in your picture go all the way around the bullet?

Sorry I took so long to respond, but I've been working a lot on my own place and at other places, and my family is like a circus right now as well. It'll get better soon.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes the groove goes all the way around. I was thinking Enfield as well. After finding 300 case shot it was an awesome moment to find the bullet. I did just clean up a cannonball fragment that has the underplug to a Bormann I didn't even know it was there. The story of this ship I'm thinking it might be from is quite amazing. Originally a blockade runner that was captured by the Union Navy on its maden voyage. It had a very short life as a Union gun boat before running aground and being captured by the confederates who had a Whitworth riffled cannon on shore harassing the sailors on board. There were two more Union gunboats who tried to rescue the crew and were able to get some rescued before the shelling caused them to give up. Without the help of the Archeologist I probably never would have figured all of this out. I just got lucky and found where dredge pipe ended on the beach after disturbing the ship and deposited the artifact's there. Yea my family is absolutely crazy right now also. Hope you return to some normalcy soon and thank you so much for the reply I owe you one!

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            So the groove does go all the way around? That's really odd, because Enfields are smooth sided, and are not supposed to have grooves. I'll have to dig out my bullet book.

Gotta love KP and his civi war knowledge

Comment

• Sugaree
            Sugaree commented
            Editing a comment
            For Sure Tam!
        Working...
        X