Hurricane and Civ Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane and Civ Site

Click image for larger version  Name:	E1E75471-3ACE-4714-BA90-08CF51A3496F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	484582 Click image for larger version  Name:	6A3758C0-E1A9-435C-AAC0-004FBED44749.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	121.7 KB ID:	484581 Well I just had to get to my Civil War site after our latest Hurricane hit coastal N.C. I had a feeling it was going to be awesome or completely washed away. Well it was the latter but I sure enjoyed it while it lasted and learned a lot about the War around Wilmington. Not sure if it was covered up by lots of sand or completely eroded away. Hopefully it’s covered up and I will see it again one day? Well so it’s just going to be a beach wondering and fishing trip it’s flounder season our first year of having a season. The beach wondering was quite productive for four days of hunting along with being a school teacher for my kids remote learning. During the trip. The rings were showing up consistently but only 10K and cheap silver and fake diamonds. Might be a 14K find or two in there? Alright I have a question on a find not what it is but what is the right thing to do with it? I found a cremation tag didn’t know anything about them till I found it. Do I leave it where I found it, keep it, or put it in the dunes overlooking the water where it is illegal to walk so the next metal detecting person doesn’t just find it. I decided to put it on the dunes good choice? I managed to find a couple sharks teeth. My fossil hunting buddy says it might be a small Meg but he is probably just messing with me. The flounder were elusive only one keeper but we got into the Drum! Utilized Flake fished with us for a day and we had a great time thanks for fishing with us bud! It’s been a crazy year and haven’t had much time to NA artifact hunt but I got the itch bad and am about to devote more time to it this fall. Thanks for the look everyone and good luck out there and yea sorry for so much wording.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Wow. Think I’m gonna hafta get me one of them magic sticks! You got a Claddagh ring, Irish symbol for Friendship, Love, and Loyalty, and little silver rodent charm may be Chinese symbol of $ fortune! You sure had an eclectic group of people around there sometime! Don’t think ‘bout pawn shops, and give both to loved ones! (Claddagh ring supposed stay in family).

I’m gonna be cremated in time and tossed in ocean at favorite beach (tho think that may violate some ordinance); you may wanna check and see if that crematory for people or pets! Idk; I’d prob’ly fling as far into water as far as could! Say, that wide 10 k gold wedding band not size 6, is it? I think was swimming at your beach once with one of the Mr. Cecilias and waves just washed it off and away.... Lol.

Seriously, both those fossils not really sharks’ teeth? ... seen plenty them, and fossil on right something special!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Cecilia wow I didn’t know it was a Claddagh ring thanks! The squirrel is my favorite except maybe the arrow ring probably because it has an arrowhead on it! You know I thought about throwing It into water But thought it might just wash back up. Originally thought pet till I looked them up went through cremation process but doesn’t look burned like some on internet maybe better metal composition. Fortune squirrel I like that thanks for the wealth of information!

Cool finds...Hope this helps on the teeth, sand shark, and Meg is what you have.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	91998BCA-3828-4D84-BC5A-FBDEA40864A7.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	484634 Click image for larger version

Name:	188C6DCC-D126-4096-B570-C7845C7BC0F4.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	484635
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hal! A Meg wow!! Maybe I’ll find that six incher next time! Those sand sharks teeth show up on this beach frequently.

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      The biggest and the bestest is always the next few steps ahead...keep after em girl...

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      O, yes, had one of those in jewelry box in HS in Hawaii. Also, my dear deceased friend Doug gave me one set into fossil display, but sure does look different in white!

Crazy finds, but what has me intrigued is that .50 cal. you're holding. How in the heck did that get there?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      So I reread what kind of training they did at Kure beach and it was actually anti aircraft training from the ground. I’m sure these bullets are scattered everywhere at quite a distance out from the firing!

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking of the M13 or M16 Half track trucks that had the .50 Cal. Browning MG's on them. They were excellent against lower flying attack aircraft, and could fire more rounds, for longer than the Flakpanzer 38, or even the Wirlbelwind/Ostwind variants of German AA Vehicles.

I'm not sure that live fire that close to civilization is a good idea... the majority of Civilian casualties during Pearl Harbor was from stray .50 Cal. ammo from American AA Fire.

• Sugaree
      Sugaree commented
      Editing a comment
      Much like the Civil War's impact in the 1860s, America's involvement in World War II brought profound social and economic changes to Wilmington, North Carolina. As the nation's home front prepared to support America's war machine, Wilmington and New Hanover County underwent a major expansion in the shipbuilding, chemical, and petroleum industries.

Wonderful adventure ! Thanks for sharing !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

50 cal. Click image for larger version

Name:	BBD7F723-7E3B-4D3A-B0D3-BFF7A4F7D1D7.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	484885 Click image for larger version

Name:	01EE0AF2-1908-4280-985F-7FB3C32951DE.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	484886
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll send you one Ethan. I don’t know if there are any stipulations in mailing live ordinance ! There, you now have a research project.

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are going to send something, I would suggest sending a casing and a bullet, and I can reload them without powder. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble with the gov'mint on my account!

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        The gov don’t want me, and I’d like a vacation on the states dime ! Retirement sucks ! No you get the real deal or zero young Sir !

Great detecting trip there Marshall!! I had a great time fishing with you and your son! Y'all sure put me right on the drum bite! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034(1)-1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	485015 love the spots on this fish man!
      North Carolina

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks hopefully next time we will catch that doormat!

You found a lot! Sounds like fun times!
      South Carolina

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Josie I definitely put my miles in!

Hey Marshall. Cool finds...I say putting tag on dunes. Was good choice! Good on you for teaching the kids remotely while u were on ur trip! Congrats on successful trip!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Red! The remote learning has definitely been a challenge. I’m not going to try but it would be interesting to find a name somehow from the tag.

Finding your civil war site empty. Use have been a real blow.But finding the local pawn shop open for detecting must have been sweet.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• Sugaree
        Sugaree commented
        Editing a comment
        Hurricanes give and take. I believe a hurricane taking away a layer of sand is the reason I found the spot in the first place. I sure tried my best to find everything that was there but I didn’t find everything. Definitely my best ring hunt. Can’t believe how many full beers I found buried in the sand.,
    Working...
    X