Sewing kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing kit

Hi All, Posted are 2 picts of a Sewing Kit I found while surface hunting artifacts. Will someone take a look and tell me if you would know where I could have it opened? We believe it has the remains of the sewing kit still inside. Kim Mattern
    Attached Files
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

I would start with the hinge. You could try soaking it in WD40. It may free it up without breaking the iron pin. Alternatively a long soak in apple cider vinegar will remove the surface rust without damaging the rest of the item.
    By the way, what makes you think that it is a sewing kit?
    Last edited by 2ndoldman; 09-22-2020, 08:41 AM.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That’s odd, how old do you think it is Sir ?
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
        That’s odd, how old do you think it is Sir ?
        Linden.- The site was occupied in the 1660s so it has to date with that. This site was a Palisaded village. It is estimated to have approximately 1200 inhabitants. 3 cemeteries there. Lots of relics. It was a contact site that traded primarily with the Dutch and Swedes. Kim

Comment

I have soaked metal detected ditties like that in olive oil for some time to good effect...
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

I am going to guess a keepsake box or jewelry box .
            fun area to detect . My my friend got his water detector fixed . Guess who gets to put on a mask and done the scoop and net .

Comment

I went online and looked . Keeping with my original thought . Sewing was in leather bond cases I could find . I would clean it up and try to find the pattern . That’s going to be a big piece to this puzzle ..

Comment

Originally posted by tomclark View Post
                I have soaked metal detected ditties like that in olive oil for some time to good effect...
                Thanks Tom. the problem is that I don't want to change the patina. The watchmaker said to soak it in Kerosene and that would loosen up the rust. He said that is a tried and true method But again I'm afraid to mess up the patina. If you know a curator of such Bronze objects let me know. I want to make a trip to Smithsonian with some other things and take that with me. Thank you for the suggestion. Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
                  I went online and looked . Keeping with my original thought . Sewing was in leather bond cases I could find . I would clean it up and try to find the pattern . That’s going to be a big piece to this puzzle ..
                  Thanks Tam good stuff. This site as I said was a heavy trade site. I did some research, And found that the Dutch were trading a lot of cloth to the Native women, hence they also traded them with Sewing kits. That is on the record. Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Tam View Post
                    I believe that the patterns to these types of things are all unique. Each hand done and therefore each a little from the others. I you can search the Dutch trade market you will find similar things but most are Snuff boxes. Thanks again Tam. I appreciate you interest. Kim

Comment

I will thank you .
                      love this stuff .

Comment

Thanks for your comment Tam. Kim

Comment

Always learning Kim

Comment

Hi Tam, this field of Archaeology is a vast one. People specializing in Lithics, Microbiology, Funerary objects, Faunal remains, Cultural study, Anthropology, Paleo to contact era. and the list goes on and on. I have been studying Native Peoples for 40 years and I know a lot. But I also realize that at this point I only know a little. Your a great Gal, Keep learning! Kim

Comment

Working...
                            X