Does anyone know what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what this is?

It was found metal detecting a site where there was a home from probably the 1700’s.

Looks like an old piece of steel strap would be helpful to know what size
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I agree.
      South Dakota

Comment

Here’s the measurement for reference

Comment

Hey, have Q regarding what metal detectors detect. They detect iron, right?...well, do they detect rust that’s flaked off metal? If can, can also detect really pure (kidney) hematite ? Iron, rust, hematite all forms ferric oxide.....

This specimen looks remarkably like some of my slightly “diluted” hematite (the kind that’s non-botryoidal in which maybe a lil’ quartz filled in a crack or two)....
          Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            They detect any kind of metal. I've personally found aluminium, pewter, iron, brass, lead, and other pot metal. My dad has found gold and silver as well.

I haven't found much with my detector, but what I have found with it is priceless to me. I've found Civil War bullets in Virginia and in my yard (lead) artillery shell pieces (iron) a super-mega rare Confederate staff officers button found at the site where J.E.B. Stuart and his officers were (brass) and of course modern coins.
        Working...
        X