Some Desert History in Tins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Desert History in Tins

Here are some odd and historic finds the first one is a small tin i dug up out at an old mining area outside of dateland Az. the area is about a ten mile ride from the campsite in the razor and the quad. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9789.JPG Views:	0 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	528435 i could hear that was something inside thought i was going to have found some oldtimers stash but soon realized it was not heavy so no nuggets inside but when we opened it it had some small black shiny pieces of what looked like slag but when we busted one up you could smell the odor of coffee . Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9795.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	528436Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9796.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	528437Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9797.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.9 KB ID:	528439 so when we got back home i boiled some water and put a chunk into it and it desolved right away but no way was i going to drink it. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9799.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	528438 smelled like the dirtiest dish water and coffee you can imagine.
    Now for the history part my brother found this tobacco tin with a load claim discovery paperwork inside dated either 1903 or 1905 for the King of Arizona mine it was the biggest load mine in Yuma county during that time .the name King of Arizona later became Kofa witch they renamed the stonehouse mountains to Kofa mountains too.and the wilderness , high school and some other buildings and monuments after in Yuma. Our friend Steve here thinks it has historic value and has a friend of his who works with the historic commision looking into finding a home for it. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9801.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	528440Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9807.JPG Views:	0 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	528441Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9809.JPG Views:	0 Size:	153.9 KB ID:	528442
    Last edited by beatup1354; 01-27-2021, 07:45 PM.
    Wyoming

Good day out, Bret
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• beatup1354
      beatup1354 commented
      Editing a comment
      it was

here is all the gold i found that day not a lot but like you said Johnny a good day out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9792.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	528448
    Wyoming

Comment

Beatup, I love the history lesson.

That coffee ought to put some hair on your chest, or remove it. One or the other...
      ​​​​​​
      South Carolina

Comment

• beatup1354
        beatup1354 commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah who knew the oldtimers made instant coffee

That's pretty cool your having fun!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Hey Bret, You found some interesting history. I had no idea that instant coffee was that old.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• beatup1354
          beatup1354 commented
          Editing a comment
          me either

What fascinating finds, thx. For the lessons.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Way cool!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Oh don't be such a wimp! That's probably the best darn coffee in the west! Isn't it supposed to age well? I dunno, I don't drink coffee.

Those are fantastic finds! You should definitely go back.
            "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Nice 👍🏻

Comment

Fantastic finds!
                Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Very cool finds, amazing how well preserved the label on the tobacco lid is. I’ll have the sweet tea please.

Comment

• beatup1354
                    beatup1354 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i was offered $50 to drink some but no way will I.
                Working...
                X