Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullheadtee View Post
    . Found at a colonial homesite
    Yours is from the same mint in Peking, but is for the fifth Emperor of the Qing dynasty. His reign title was Qianlong (Ch'ien-lung) and he was known after his death by the temple name Gaozong (Kao Tsung).

He ascended to the Imperial throne in 1735, with coins being produced bearing his reign title from 1736-1795. Although he lived on for another for another four years, he announced his intention to abdicate in 1795 to fulfil a promise that, out of respect, he wouldn’t reign longer than his grandfather’s 61 years as Emperor. His grandfather was the aforementioned ‘Kangxi’ on South Fork’s coin.

Despite his abdication he retained ultimate power as the ‘Retired Emperor’ until his death in 1799 and there are some commemorative coins believed to have been issued during that retirement period.
    Last edited by painshill; 02-14-2021, 12:08 PM.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank You ! Wish it wasentl missing the beads and coins ! I love the glass work most of all !
      New Jersey

Comment

Awesome Information I often wonder who, what ,when, where and why Myself and that brings a little more clarity to the mystery Thankyou !!!!!!!
        New Jersey

Comment

What a neat find congratulations!
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Your son is doing very well Denis. It is too bad that some idiot decided to drill another hole in it, the square hole already in the middle was provided for the purpose of hanging on a string.
            If your son wants to identify his other coins, this site might help.
            Bruce
            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• south fork
              south fork commented
              Editing a comment
              The Native American people in this area used coins as bangles . We have found several drilled in the same manner near the edge .
          Working...
          X