No announcement yet.

Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is cool Dennis, and a hobby that you can actually make money doing instead of spending.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• south fork
      south fork commented
      Editing a comment
      Gold mining is not a cheap hobby lol but if luck holds it my pay for itself.

Nicearooo. I’d go back there and camp a week or two

Comment

• south fork
      south fork commented
      Editing a comment
      We been here over 40 years we camped the first 6 years lol.

I know me. I would have a pump running on that shaft.

Comment

Yesterday's clean-up of metal detector finds and ore crushing.
      Attached Files

Comment

What an awesome thread! Congrats to your son Dennis.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It would be cool to knapp a quartz point that had a gold inclusion. Sure is pretty.
          South Carolina

Comment

Quite a few years ago I dug a trench with an excavator from one of our wells to a storage tank for water lines and electrical. There are pieces of quartz with oxidized streaks from behind the house down to the well. The cattle have cleaned this area off so I can pick up small pieces of rock to test now that i have an electric crusher sure beats pounding by hand. Yesterday I crushed a quarter of a bucket from behind the wood shed and ran the concentrates through a blue bowl concentrator I found gold. There are big seams of quartz running across our property a lot of rocks to test.
            Attached Files

Comment

Getting more interesting. That rock crusher will open up a new opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Garguy View Post
                Getting more interesting. That rock crusher will open up a new opportunity.
                I wash the pulverized rock in a tub with liquid soap it makes the slurry real frothy. I skim the froth by slowly pouring off into a series of gold pans to let settle. The heavier concentrates go into the blue bowl with a little mercury. After the froth settles I pan it slowly into another pan and let that settle a real slow process but I'm able to recover micro gold particles.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday my son and me crushed ore samples then washed and classified the concentrates. The mill pounds some of the free gold into little balls the fines are run across a fluid bed / sluice box then into the Blue Bowl concentrator for final cleanup. A lot of the gold needs to be smelted to remove the impurities that's also my job lol. This is small scale hobby prospecting with a lot of steps from rock to gold.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's cool as heck.

Comment

Mr Pockets .
                      This is becoming quite the operation !
                      i really like that melt down procedure .

Comment

I found a small smelt pot in an antique shop that I brought home . You never know .

Comment

Just look up Gold prices . $59 + today
                          Dang nice hobby . I believe all of equipment has paid for itself right .

Comment

• south fork
                            south fork commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks, the gold will pay for our small investment it makes prospecting a great hobby. But it sure cut into my point hunting lol. At today's gold prices 1 ounce will pay for our investment plus a little profit.

Look what was hiding inside of a big dirty rusty looking rock. 23-1/2 grams of mostly gold with a little quartz. I had this soaking in muriatic acid for a week then whink for a week.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X