No announcement yet.

Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awesome! The pictures with the rounded gold and inside the mine are very cool.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Gosh that mine would be calling my name. Gotta be gold left in there

Comment

Hey Dennis, Have you guys ever pumped the water out of the old mine? Is that possible?
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Garguy
          Garguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought immediately that I would be pumping 24hrs a day

• south fork
          south fork commented
          Editing a comment
          We thought about it but there's plenty of rock outside and inside before you hit water. But we might be able to start a siphon? and let it run down the mountain maybe get the creek flowing in this drought lol.

I cleaned another specimen found with a metal detector on a mine waste pile. 26.5 grams
        Attached Files

Comment

• beatup1354
          beatup1354 commented
          Editing a comment
          killer specimen

That is so beautiful. It might be worth more as a specimen than crushed.

Comment

• south fork
          south fork commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks, we try not to crush any specimens but sometimes we miss a piece.

A siphon should work. Get a roll of that flexible 2 inch water pipe. Push it done the shaft, cap the end. Pull it out half way and open her up.

Comment

Another specimen found with a metal detector by my son. This piece had no gold showing just covered in host rock but made the detector scream. A two-week soak in Whink solution and and a light scrub every couple of days just a thin layer of quartz covering the gold 43grams.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Ron Kelley
            Ron Kelley commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a huge one. Our mass copper is in the quartz too.

Crap that is pretty!

Comment

Your having the time or an experience of a lifetime .
            It’s paid fir itself 👍

Comment

This is the gold from the ore samples we have crushed and smelted a long slow process.
              Attached Files

Comment

It's been way too hot to do any actual mining and my son's workload is overwhelming. So, I'm back to cleaning dirty ore samples in the shade of the Oaks these were metal detector finds off mine dumps. I had these samples soaking in whink and a lot of the finely disseminated particles of gold drop off along with the host rock in the bottom of the plastic jar. I drain off and save the solution then pan the samples in a gold pan pick then out the specimens that need to go back in. All the smalls are collected to be smelted when we have enough to make a button these sample were also soaked in acid first. Then neutralized with a baking soda wash then into whink to try and remove some of the quartz.
                Attached Files

Comment

• south fork
                  south fork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We have a number of detectors, but a Minelab Nox 800 and a Minelab 2300 are the primary go to machines.

• Tenoch
                  Tenoch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Sr, I'm saving up for a better detector, here are some old mines, but I only have a humble vanquish which has given me some joy. A nox is better than an orx for this

• beatup1354
                  beatup1354 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you are killing it

If the folks from 1849 could see you and your sons method/s you guys would have been robbed of all your equipment and claim jumped!
                Pretty amazing.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• south fork
                  south fork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A metal detector would have made you a fortune in a short time or at least helped in 1849.

Have you ever looked into selling your specimen pieces? The ones with visible gold amoung the quartz. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220728-225033_Firefox.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	647906
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• south fork
                  south fork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not yet but there's a good collector's market locally if we ever decide to sell. Maybe this winter when the paychecks slow down lol.
                  Last edited by south fork; 07-28-2022, 10:58 PM.

It's been way too hot for any mining, but I have a shady spot under the oaks for cleaning ore samples. These started at about 41 grams over an ounce cleaned will be saved as specimen's .
                Attached Files

Comment

• Josie
                  Josie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got to get in the creek for more than one reason. Golds been found in the creek. There’s a mine not too far from here.

I keep thinking I might find gold in some of the quartz I've been knapping. No luck so far, LOL!
                South Carolina

Comment

• south fork
                  south fork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm always looking at the quartz points I find no luck yet.
              Working...
              X