What to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Buy

Hey Ya'll - Ain't rich but been cogitatin lately on one of them there detecting machines. What do ya look for and how much can I spect to pay for one. Also - where the heck can ya get em???? Thinkin this area might be good for civil war type stuff..
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Hello Scorpion; Check out the different web pages for the metal detectors. I use a White's X.L.T. and are very happy with it. Whites has a site with a forum where you can see what others think. Garrett makes a nice machine and they must have info on line also. Two things I can think about to bring up here are One make sure you have the time to use your machine. When I was working every day I had little time to use mine. Now retired it is different. Second stay away from cheap machines. They will kill your interest because they won't tell you the difference between junk and good targets. My whites ran around $1000 with the extras. You can learn a lot on line about these so try to spend some time looking. Good luck.

Comment

Tanks Ron - I gots plenty of time - Retired from the Navy and on SS - So time is about all I got.  I'll check out the sites ...Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I agree stay away from the cheapy detectors. you will want to throw it in a lake. I would suggest a minelab machine or a whites. they are about the best out there for any kind of relic hunting. i woul suggest looking on ebay. I bought a like new minelab explorer II for 550 on there, and was able to buy different coils and such off ebay as well. this machine new was well over 1100. if you have any questions about detectors feel free to contact me. i am a founder of two different metal detecting clubs, and have alot of info from folks as far as detectors go. i would be willing to help ya out on any questions i may be able to answer.

Comment

Before you jump on the first good one you see, you may want to check out the local Pawn shops. They sometimes have quality machines "barely used" at decent prices.
          They may even "Bargain" with you.
          A lot of machines are given as Christmas gifts only to be stored in closet.
          Their main complaint they only found trash!
          They are sometimes new in box.............
          If you are interested in "Civil War relics" stay away from the ACE machines. (Garrett)
          These machines are primarily for "Parks/schools". 3-4" depth average.
          The Whites will perform/seek deep and has Coil options for different applications.
          (Kinda heavy) Good machine........
          The Mine Labs has a very long learning curves, good machines
          (Very Pricey)
          The Troy "Shadow" series may be a good choice if weight may be an issue.
          Ultra light, great depth, coil options, and affordable.
          I have no affiliation with Troy but I do own a X-3.
          I also own three Garretts, a fisher, a D-tex and a Bounty Hunter.
          Bone2stone
          Note: In 2009 I was voted "Treasure Hunter Of the Year" by my piers. 229 members.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

I like the Shadow, have and X2, essentially a Tesoro.
            I have stayed with Tesoro for a while.  Great guarantee and service.  I use a Tejon.  I would be using my Tejon in the areas you described.  I don't think it's too scary buying used from a detecting "for sale" board, some by members, some by dealers.  I bought mine new but I would now buy used. Tesoro Vaquero is also a good, powerful all around unit.
            When you swing them all day long, even a few ounces more takes it's toll.  Tesoro's are very light.  Did I mention I like Tesoro?

My Leaden Cock

Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks ya'll.  That's enough info to get me off on the right foot.  Tom Clark what the h... is that Badger doing in your pics.  Did ya detect him with your metal detector or fight him off with it.  Jesse and CJ - sounds like good advice.  I intend to check our local pawn shop. Mahaps I can trade him some of my silver for one, if the price is right  :laugh: ---Chuck

Comment

I have a minelab and I love it, but it is a high end instrument.  Before you go investing read what you can and decide exactly what you want.  Also, check out the link below.  It is a great place for information and advice on equipment, and the pitfalls.  For most general hunting, you can do fine with a middle of the road detector.  If you still have the passion and feel you need it, you can always move up.  Check ebay as a source for used equipment if the pawn shops are bust.
                Good luck.
                Tim

Comment

Chuck that Badger must of swallowed a ring!  I believe I'd leave him alone!  Search Honey Badger on youtube this gay guy narrates it I LMAO!...Daniel

Comment

The honey badger video is narrated by Randall.  I don't know how to copy and paste websites.

Comment

That badgerish pic is of a Tejon, a racoon-coati type animal.  In the US only found in the SW
                      Professor Shellman
                      Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                      X